UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2017, 10:08 pm   #1
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Default Bush TP50 Tape deck.

Hello. Does any one know how the round ball type knobs for record and play, forward and reverse controls can be safely removed. I think they may pull off but maybe they unscrew? I have removed the potentiometer knobs which were tight without damage. Colin
Old 20th Jan 2017, 4:31 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Bush TP50 Tape deck.

It is a BSR TD2 tape deck. Wind two pieces of thin nylon rope around the knob, knot each
side, and pull equally in an upwards direction. When refitting use some liquid detergent
as a lubricant. Forcing the knobs with a screwdriver may cause cracking.
Old 20th Jan 2017, 5:23 pm   #3
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Many thanks, knobs are safely off after your advice, and not marked. Prior to removing I warmed the plastic with a hair drier as well.
My next question is are there any preferences for the type of grease and oil to use on the various bearings and sliding steel plates. Colin
Old 20th Jan 2017, 7:35 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Normally a standard high melting point or lithium grease is fine. A thin non-acidic oil is
used for bearings, e.g. sewing machine, I use a typewriter oil. The mineral oil used
for fitting expandable rubber sleeving is also good.
Old 21st Jan 2017, 1:06 am   #5
vintage_8bit
Heptode

I had difficulty in taking machine out of play but now after a clean and lube as advised it's working fine.
I slowly increased the mains voltage over a few hours minus the valves. I then fitted valves and it appears to work, on play quite well. The next task is changing the drive belt to right hand spool spindle. It looks like the head assy has to be removed to do this. Am I correct. Is there a pdf somewhere for just the deck. I do have the Trader service sheet for the whole machine though. Colin
Old 21st Jan 2017, 1:13 am   #6
vintage_8bit
Heptode

I have now found a service sheet No 1510. It looks about right will study it tomorrow. Colin.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 11:01 pm   #7
vintage_8bit
Heptode

I made up a new take up belt from an "O ring" kit. I found I could fit it by releasing the head mounting plate just enough to fit the new belt over the capstan, without unsoldering the heads.
Anyway my next question is, on my model the left hand Hum bucking coil L2 has been fited to the left hand head mounting plate retaining screw, by the left hand side of the erase head. I assume this is wrong, specially as the drawings show it held by the Centre tape guide. Has anyone got any thoughts on this. Surely it needs to be next to the play head.?
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 12:13 am   #8
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Default Bush TP50 Tape recorder with BSR TD2 deck.

On my deck the hum bucking coil L2 is fitted to the left hand side & next to the erase head, as looking from front. The drawing shows the coil situated on the left hand side of the record / play head, which makes sense. The drawing also shows it secured in the centre, with item 74 which is a screw.
Now on mine this "screw" is a tape guide, please see photo. Is this correct. I would of thought a guide is not required here as item 65 & 73 are guides. If I try to fit the earth tag that retains L2 it raises the guide and changes the alignment of the tape.
Any thoughts gratefully received. Apart from this it all looks original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170202_213909_resized.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	136893  

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Feb 2017 at 10:15 am. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 9:38 am   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TP50 Tape recorder with BSR TD2 deck.

It could be a production change, I would leave the centre tape guide as is.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 2:11 pm   #10
vintage_8bit
Heptode

Now we have put on the covers, I can see that this guide is to far back for the tape to touch. So I can't see what it actually does? It would be nice to see a photo of the tape heads on another 4 track TD2 for comparison. Colin
Old 6th Feb 2017, 3:36 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

This one appears to show the same guide fitted:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bsr_spinney.html

Lawrence.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 10:57 pm   #12
vintage_8bit
Heptode

That was good dedective work. Gives me confidence that all is, as Bush intended. Still confused about the hum bucking coil possition. Anyway thank you. Colin.
Closed Thread