UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:11 pm   #1
tracypaper
Octode

Default Hacker Grenadier GP45

Hi all.
I am looking at the above player and was drawn to the 'power Pack' and the 4000uf can which has a bulge as per some other threads about this player, so a replacement 4700uf 63v will be ordered.
I also spotted that the wire leads on the two Rectifiers (D1 D2) were black with soot and carbonised, now I did a DMM diode test and I got readings on both Rectifiers in both directions, my DMM even beeped for a few seconds then went of as the readings climbed, now I know on a diode (1N5408) this would mean its Duff and wants replacing, does this mean that the rectifiers are also duff as they look like diodes to me? and would the 1N5408 be a suitable replacement?
Gaz.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:10 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Grenadier GP45

Don't worry about the look of them at this stage. I've had similar and they were usually fine. Did you test the rectifier diodes out of circuit? If not, do so! If they had shorted, you'd probably see a blown fuse or in lieu, a wax pool near the transformer ;-)
Old 11th Sep 2018, 1:02 am   #3
tracypaper
Octode

Tested in circuit, will test out of circuit later, Three fuses ok so judging by your comments I expect them to be ok.
Gaz.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:16 pm   #4
tracypaper
Octode

Rectifiers (diodes) OK.
Looking at the circuit diagram as well as the component layout before asking would have answered my questions, lesson learnt, it was late at night though!
Everything else looks fine (unless the experienced out there can tell me if I should check anything else?).
Just waiting for 4700uf can then re-assemble and test.
Gaz.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 12:18 am   #5
tracypaper
Octode

4700uf fitted and player re-assembled and all is good, amazing sound, shame I have to give it back.
Thanks Ben.
Gaz.
Closed Thread