UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2018, 5:24 pm   #1
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Arm Identification

I've been helping a friend sort out some of his late father's hifi collection and I've come across this arm that has no manufacturer's markings. I'm fairly sure that the cartridge is an Audio Technica AT91 but I was hoping that someone might be able to identify the arm.

Many thanks,

James.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp6663_cropsmaller.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	168853   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp6664_cropsmaller.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	168854   Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp6666_cropsmaller.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	168855  
Old 6th Sep 2018, 5:28 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Arm Identification

It's the 'flat' tonearm from a NAD 5120 TT. I had one for a while - quite nice. If I recall correctly it plugs in to the pillar - so not much use on other TTs.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 6:27 pm   #3
jamesperrett
Octode

Many thanks - that looks like the one! Can't find a NAD turntable in the collection (yet) so it will be interesting to see if any of the other turntables were modified to use it.
Old 6th Sep 2018, 11:29 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

From the pics it looks like the pillar has been extracted along with the arm and fitted to something else - so that gives it a bit more flexibility. I remember when I realised the tonearm 'unplugged' how impressed I was by the ease with which I could change cartridges! It is, after all, rare for a manufacturer to consider things like that. I think there was a carbon fibre cylindrical tonearm that could be substituted for the 'flat' as well.
Old 7th Sep 2018, 4:12 pm   #5
Beobloke
Heptode

As an aside, I like the Gates turntable that it's sat on!
Old 7th Sep 2018, 9:08 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

Yes, the Gates looks good although I haven't got round to seeing if it works or not as it appears to be an unfinished project. There are quite a few interesting items here - mainly turntable and preamp related.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 9:07 am   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

Those arms were only fitted to one turntable as far as I know. Only around for a few months then reverted to a conventional tubular arm. Think they were made in Chech Republic.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:21 pm   #8
unitaudio
Heptode

I remember these arms being quite controversial at the time and the deck they were fitted to didn't sell well. I vaguely remember reading something about "Undamped resonances". I've never heard one in action though so I can't say whether or not the criticism was legitimate. I also read somewhere that a number of decks were recalled to be fitted with the tubular arm.

Regards,
Paul
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:56 pm   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

As I wrote above - I had one of these a few years ago. It performed pretty well for a budget TT - no problems with the flat arm, which ISTR I fitted with a Goldring Elan cartridge. I don't think they would have been recalled because, if I remember correctly, the tubular and flat tonearms were interchangeable.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 8:09 pm   #10
jamesperrett
Octode

It certainly seems very flimsy in the vertical plane but there's a dial on the counterweight marked in Hz so I assume that there is some way of controlling the resonant frequency of the arm/cartridge combination. Not sure I'll get a chance to try it before it goes to be sold.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 10:09 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

NAD 5120 manuals explaining the arm's spring loaded damping arrangement can be downloaded from here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/nad/5120.shtml

You'll need to register but that's free and the site might well prove to be a valuable resource as you go through the rest of the collection.

Alan
Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:35 pm   #12
jamesperrett
Octode

Thanks Alan - I've used that site before but had no idea where to start looking with this arm.
Closed Thread