UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2005, 4:28 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Cleaning Valve pins

A good method for removing tarnish and oxide from valve pins I've found is to dig the pins several times into a rubber adhesive block e.g. RS 692-817. This only works with B9A and similar, not octal types. A shot of switch cleaner then removes any residual dust left by the abrasive material.

Biggles.
Old 6th Dec 2005, 5:27 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Cleaning Valve pins

Nice one Biggles. My favourite method is to use a fibreglass pencil (these are now available in Halfords), this rapidly removes oxide layers and leaves a smooth clean contact.
Neil
Old 6th Dec 2005, 6:48 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Sorry, just realised my deliberate error, I should have said abrasive block, not adhesive block! You could end up with very sticky pins.

Biggles
Old 6th Dec 2005, 8:30 pm   #4
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Talking Re: Cleaning Valve pins

Rubber abrasive? Is that what we used to call a pencil eraser?

I've used erasers to clean up badly tarnished metal pins a few times. It works fine.
Old 7th Dec 2005, 12:35 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Of course you would have to be careful while cleaning those expensive gold plated pins found on "extra high quality" valves. You could end up removing the gold altogether! Pencil erasers are good for cleaning edge connectors on pcbs but I'm not sure whether they leave any "bits". I would still finish off with a squirt of cleaner.

Biggles.
Old 7th Dec 2005, 2:23 pm   #6
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Does anyone else remember the pin straightener/cleaner bases? (B7G B8A etc). Many, many years ago we had them screwed to the test benches for convenience.

Does anyone still have any?

Jim
Closed Thread