UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2010, 5:24 pm   #21
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: v.h.f rx using ef91s

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. A cascode and pentode have similar gain, but a cascode has lower noise so has better sensitivity. Either would stop RF going back to the aerial and would improve things. Use whatever you have handy. If you are near a transmitter you might benefit from having some gain control to avoid overloading V1, so use a variable-mu valve - cascode ECC84,89 or 189, pentode EF93,85 or 183. If out in the sticks then cascode ECC84 or 88, pentode EF91,80 or 184. You might get away with using an ECC81 or ECC85, but these were not intended for cascode use.
Old 24th Jan 2010, 11:31 pm   #22
Trevor
Octode

thanks dave
i thing i will try a cascode basicaly because i have not used 1 before for rf and i will see what i learn
regards trev
Old 25th Feb 2010, 8:43 pm   #23
Trevor
Octode

THe Tuner project is still on the go but as I have been ill latley I had to go to hospital for a heart operation "had a stent fitted" I have been unable to work on my beloved fm tuner
I will try to post my last valve amplifier build Lola
She is a gorgeous little thing 4 x 6V6 2 X ecc81 fixed bias ,ultralinear of about 12 watts output per channel with minimal feedback 6db
That sound really good with my Pm6 Lowther Acousta,s
regards For now Trev

Last edited by Trevor; 25th Feb 2010 at 8:48 pm.
Closed Thread