UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2017, 12:49 pm   #1
leslie5555
Heptode

Default Fidelity HF 45 primary transformer burnt out.

I have replaced the complete motor on this Fidelity HF 45 after the old one overheated and trashed the pri transformer.
All is working fine now but I am worried about what made the transformer overheat in the first place.
I have powered it up for about 15 mins and it is only slightly warm so it may be ok .
What should I check as a possible cause, it has already been suggested that the rectifier may be at fault and needs checking , but what is the voltage (18 V ?) And how do I check the voltage?
Old 17th Dec 2017, 12:59 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Fidelity HF 45 primary transformer burnt out.

Is this the version with a TBA800 IC?

If so there is no "pri transformer". The amp is powered from an overwinding on the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF45.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	154119  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 1:12 pm   #3
Bookman
Hexode

Does the transformer have a rating plate that specifies its VA rating? If it does you can check the load current and compare it to the VA rating capacity.
Note that these are tests that are undertaken under normal conditions. This considers no damage to the transformer or connected load (motor).

Overloading of transformers normally results in damage to the wiring insulation which in turn affects the thermal capacity or VA loading capacity of the transformer. One would normally reduce the VA capacity (or ability to do work) of the transformer under such conditions.

When checking the motor loading it would be prudent to measure values at no load with shaft unattached and with attached.
No load current should be marginal but if this is not so then there are possible mechanical problems such as bearings or thermal damage to the motor windings.
Trust this helps
Joe
Old 17th Dec 2017, 1:42 pm   #4
leslie5555
Heptode

this is the old motor with the burnt out transformer, if that helps.
Graham the IC is SN76013ND
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	154120  
Old 17th Dec 2017, 1:50 pm   #5
Station X

That's an over winding on the motor, or to be more exact a split bobbin.

I'd check the rectifier for faulty diodes and the smoothing capacitor for electrical leakage.

Old 17th Dec 2017, 2:19 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Fidelity HF 45 primary transformer burnt out.

Hi,
That's the half of the bobbin with the most wire on it, so it looks like the input 'primary' half. I wonder if shorted turns have done for it?
Some motors had a 110volt tapping which, if connected in error to 240volts would soon burn it out, but I'm not sure if that one has the said tap.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 2:31 pm   #7
Station X

Given that the complete motor has been changed, the obvious question is what voltages is the OP seeing when compared to the circuit in post #2.

Old 17th Dec 2017, 3:03 pm   #8
leslie5555
Heptode

I have checked the smoothing cap and it's OK. I will check the voltages later. Thanks.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 3:23 pm   #9
Bookman
Hexode

It is possible that there may be confusion. The photograph is of a motor (not transformer) with what looks like a burnt out or over heated stator winding. A quick measurement with a multimeter will prove this.
You mention a primary transformer which would suggest the motor is a 110V a.c. hence the need for primary device. It is strange why only one coil has burnt out?
Old 17th Dec 2017, 3:28 pm   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I believe that in these players, the device is both a motor and a transformer. There is a coil (the one that has burnt out I think) connected to the mains. It's on a laminated core with copper shading rings, and forms the stator of the turntable motor. There is a second winding on the core, in which a voltage is induced to power the amplifier (thus the 2 windings act as a mains transformer).
Old 17th Dec 2017, 3:34 pm   #11
Station X

I'm sure you're correct Tony.

A far as I know no circuit is available for the early version HF45's which used an SN76013ND. It can't be that dissimilar to the TBA800 version though.

Fidelitys were cheap and cheerful. I doubt they used a separate step down transformer.

Old 17th Dec 2017, 4:10 pm   #12
leslie5555
Heptode

Just to confirm Tony's post the burnt out part is indeed connected to the mains and the other one goes to the amp via two white wires.
I'm no expert at electronics so I'm sorry if my previous posts have not been clear. But I can make basic checks etc with my multi meter and change components safely.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 4:44 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's most likely the burnout was just down to a faulty winding. Stalling the motor has little effect on total loading on the motor/transformer primary winding- most of the load is likely to be from the secondary (psu feed) winding and the shading coils in the magnetic circuit which are effectively shorted turns around part of the core.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:27 pm   #14
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I believe that in these players, the device is both a motor and a transformer. There is a coil (the one that has burnt out I think) connected to the mains. It's on a laminated core with copper shading rings, and forms the stator of the turntable motor. There is a second winding on the core, in which a voltage is induced to power the amplifier (thus the 2 windings act as a mains transformer).
I accept this as fact but strange in that the motor has to be energised before one can consider switching on the amp?
Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:40 pm   #15
peter_sol
Octode

For those who were not around at the time
Those motors normally had 18volt secondary windings for transistor amps, as apposed to the 240/110 or using the 80v tap for the valves on the older type.
The motor spun all the time. no point in being picky about the actual wording IE motor or transformer.
We know what is meant.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:41 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The motor is probably running as soon as the amp is turned on, the turntable /Automatic function will start when the idler wheel is engaged.

The other option is that there is a switch on the turntable, when that energises the motor it power the amplifier, the amp is IC so no warm up time.

Edit. Crossed post, 3 answers all the same.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:42 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

It's not a problem, the amplifier only needs to work when a record is playing.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 8:05 pm   #18
leslie5555
Heptode

Just to clarify the motor does indeed spin all the time the amp is on.
Closed Thread