UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2017, 2:35 pm   #1
digitaltoss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Panasonic SG-5090 constant high volume noise

Hello all,

I have been trying to fix the mentioned music centre for a while. I could not get too much useful information about the issue neither the music centre, but I hope this forum will bring me luck.

I got this music centre in the summer from an old guy who lives in a farm outside the city. The place was really dirty, so this piece of equipment was covered in dust, and I even found rat poison and sunflower seed hulls inside of it. He have not used it for a long while, so I did a deep cleaning before turning it on.

It worked perfectly for about 50 hours of uptime, but then noise started. It is really hard to describe the issue since it is changing somehow... It is a high volume noise, that comes on immediately after turning the centre on, regardless of the audio input. Sometimes it is just random noise, but sometimes it has a pattern, like 5 impulses per second. It used to be the left channel, now both. Sometimes it changes when I touch the equipment's housing even so slightly (not to mention the circuits, or anything inside the housing), sometimes I need to use more force. And of course sometimes I turn it on and the noise is gone, and I have to wait a minute for the noise to come.

These are the things I have tried:
  • cleaning all the potentiometers, all of them, with alcohol
  • bypassed the speaker group selector (it has A, B and A+B options, and 4 speaker in connectors)
  • changed all the big (>1 mF) capacitors on the power amp's circuit
  • desoldered the power amp IC (STK463) and tested the connections (seems normal)
  • checked all the soldering on the board with a magnifying glass, fixing those which could be iffy
  • desoldered and measured the bridge rectifiers (looks good)

Now I am at the point where my only idea is to check the power supply, and that is it.

Do you have any ideas on this issue? What would you check? Keep in mind that I only have a cheap digital multimeter, so I cannot even get readings from the noise that reaches the speaker... (and I know, no household is a real household without an oscilloscope)

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:23 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic SG-5090 constant high volume noise

Welcome to the forum. It does sound like a dry joint or poor ground connection but could also be resistor noise but less likely so. Next is cleaning up any switches. You seem to have covered most of the likely culprits.

I non conducting prodder like a pencil is useful for tapping the PCB and components to try and find the source of the issue. Did this on a Marantz amp I had that had odd issue's; I'd fix one and another would pop up.

Best of luck, Andy.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 1:23 pm   #3
GRID LEAK
Triode

Default Re: Panasonic SG-5090 constant high volume noise

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have found with these sort of faults that a hairdryer as a heat source and a freezer aerosol can sometimes be very helpful. Warming the panel with the hairdryer and then cooling a small area at a time with the freezer spray can sometimes identify the component or dry joint etc. which is causing the problem. Good luck with your problem and have a happy Christmas. John.
Closed Thread