UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2006, 3:53 pm   #1
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Default Fab fm modulator gadgets for buttons

Chaps
Bought one of these - v.g.
JM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCD-backlight-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 7th Mar 2006, 4:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Fab fm modulator gadgets for buttons

Looks good, except 50mA power consumption seems a bit steep for 2 AAA batteries. My Linex (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINEX-WIRELESS...QQcmdZViewItem) probably has the same chip and I imagine has similar power consumption, but it uses 3 AAs.

These things are certainly getting cheaper. I may buy another soon just to plug into the back of a computer.

Best regards, Paul
Old 7th Mar 2006, 5:33 pm   #3
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Paul,
What sort of range have these beasties got?
They look pretty good.

Regards
Lee
Old 7th Mar 2006, 7:18 pm   #4
zak
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a few of these,although worked reasonably well,the battery,(2 aaa cells) last just minuites,before packing up for good.The display is rubbish when working,Ive had to bin them,not worth the hassle!
Old 7th Mar 2006, 7:29 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
They don't mislead the purchaser about the legality of operating these things. I always thought it was illegal to sell non-CE marked equipment in the EU. Of course none of us would ever knowingly break the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act.

"The Purchaser warrants that it shall comply in all material respects with all applicable Laws, Regulations or Codes of Conduct Practice (whether statutory or otherwise) of the UK and that all licences permissions all concerns required for using of the Product have been obtained and are in full force and effect. Additionally ADD-ONS WORLD Ltd self certify that the Linex FM Transmitter is not CE complaint.

If we have reason to believe that you intend to operate the device in an area where the 1949 Wireless & Telegraphy Act applies, we will not sell you one."
http://www.addonsworld.co.uk/ebay/au/spacer.gif
Old 8th Mar 2006, 1:21 am   #6
paulsherwin

I believe it's illegal to operate one of these, not to buy or own them. The only transmitting equipment which I believe it's illegal to *own* is UHF TV retransmitters, thanks to legislation introduced in a panic in the 80s

My Linex just gets from the hifi at one downstairs corner of the house to the loft mounted aerial which the hifi uses I've used a portable radio to check coverage around the house and it's inaudible a couple of houses either side, and I imagine pretty weak for my immediate neighbours. I of course take care to use a frequency which is clear in my area.

Best regards, Paul
Closed Thread