UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2004, 8:09 pm   #1
Ian_K
Triode

Default Repairing a speaker cone

Hello All

I have a late 20's Celestion moving magnet speaker which although working the cone is rather holy and torn. It's made of what looks like tar impregnated cardboard, can anyone suggest a metod of repairing this or alternatively someone who could make a replacement cone, although I would like to keep it as original as possable.

Regards
Ian K

Vintage Audio Electronics engineer
www.vintek.co.uk
Old 6th Aug 2004, 10:17 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Repairing a speaker cone

I used to use tissue paper and model aeroplane dope when I was a kid. You could get very neat repairs this way. You could use paper glue instead of dope...the type that remains flexible. With a speaker of this age though, not sure how you could 'disguise' the repair sufficiently.

Rich.
Old 6th Aug 2004, 11:40 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Simple tears can be repaired with nail varnish. Holes may need tissue paper.
Old 7th Aug 2004, 10:27 am   #4
joe
Rest in Peace

Ian

If you can tolerate a radial line down the cone then you can probably find a suitable material from an art shop, fold it into a cone of the right dimensions, and glue it.

The compliant surround ie the ribs which you find on a moving coil speaker are absent from many of the very old speakers - at least from the ones I have - and their place has been taken by foam rubber, long since perished on the ones I have met. Otherwise follow the suggestions from Richard & Tim.

There is an article on reconstructing a cone at www.leradiodisophie.it/cono.html The only catch is that this site is in Italian, and the Google "translate this page" comes up with the most hilarious nonsense. I did get an Italian friend to translate it and it makes good sense, although it doesn't look easy. I've never tried it.

Joe

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 9:21 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread