UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2019, 7:10 pm   #1
Cathode Ray
Pentode

Default Avometer Movement balance ?

Folks,
I recall seeing a video on the internet somewhere which showed how to re-balance the movement.
But I can't find it now!!!

It showed how to add nail varnish to counterweight the movement so there is a good balance between vertical and horizontal meter positions.

Does anyone have it bookmarked by any chance?
Or can give me some tips on the procedure?

Thanks
Ray
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:21 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Avometer Movement balance ?

It's always interested me, though I'm too chicken to do any such thing to a movement!

If it zeros fine in the horizontal position, I'm not worried what it does vertically.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:30 pm   #3
Cathode Ray
Pentode

I found this guide...
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/qst...b-1943-qst.htm

It's as simple as A,B,C
(see paragraph half way down the article)
It requires the meter to be removed from the Avo... perhaps next time!
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:59 pm   #4
sven_swe
Pentode

I found this guy who is balancing a meter. But the article you posted is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxSsO3zo2hs

I would like to see a tutorial on how to adjust the jewel screws, text or video

Last edited by sven_swe; 12th Feb 2019 at 9:10 pm.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:10 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've used the method described in the RF Cafe link on an Avo VCM meter. Requires a steady hand and a fine paint brush. Not sure that nail varnish is a good choice; you may overdose it and need to remove some.

I used an obscure chemical called Salol, which is like a wax which melts at ~40'C. I had been told to use Salol in a previous life to bond piezo elements, and of course, it was subsequently easy to de-bond them, or on a meter, remove a dab using something like a "warmed" jeweller's screwdriver.

B
Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:45 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

When i researched this originally, i think i searched under 'balancing a d'arsonval movement' which came up with at least one good (quite old) source.

Having Zeroed the needle you proceed to check and rectify Tail, then Side.
I use car paint personally. There is little risk of overdoing it since it loses some solvent weight in the first couple of minutes after application.

If a tail weight in (eg an Avo) has corroded away paint may not be heavy enough, i have resorted to embedding a tiny lump of lead/tin or copper in the paint on a couple of occasions.

Nail varnish dries too quickly for my liking- there's more wiggle room with paint.

If your Avo only shows 2% under or over 'Zero' on carrying out the recommended orientation checks, it is not worth doing anything about it.

Dave
Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:50 pm   #7

just to warn if someone use cello tape to fix the needle (or the pointer), that many old scales suffer or curling paint that comes off very easy.

Old 13th Feb 2019, 7:21 pm   #8
Cathode Ray
Pentode

Thanks guys, good information there.
I won't try it just yet, my meter is nicely closed up and working well.
It's probably within 2% of where it needs to be on the vertical but it's almost perfect on the horizontal.

But perhaps next time i have reason to open her up.
Closed Thread