UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:14 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default British Philco

Dad came back from the auction with another radio this week, this time a Philco woody from the 30's. It looks like a British radio to me, I dont have a model number because the back is missing but it has a nice collection of balloon valves in there.

I have another 30s Philco in a similar vein (and with the same knobs) , but realize I know nothing about Philco's British-taste 30s radios. Philco always conjures-up a very American set in my mind, imported to the disdain of the UK industry, or chrome car radios, or else the NASA mission control centre consoles they made during the 60's space race.

Can anyone fill us in on their activity in the UK? Did they have a factory here?
Old 14th Oct 2011, 10:17 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: British Philco

See this page.
Old 16th Oct 2011, 10:33 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I think they made some sets here . Peoples sets at least as I dont think they sold those in the USA?
Some sets were available in UK and USA in similar cabinets
Old 10th Nov 2011, 1:08 am   #4
Billie the Boss
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Folks.
On This topic I have just come by a UK Philco model 98 (1937) I think. Anybody got any idea as to where I might get a schematic for it.
I have searched all over and cant seem to locate one.
Great forum.
Regards.
Willie.
Old 10th Nov 2011, 10:29 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Philco's existance in the UK is very complex but in essence, as an American company, and to avoid heavy import tariffs to protect British manufacturing jobs and be marketed by the radio shops under the BREMA 'manufacturer's Union', they were required to have a UK assembly plant (as did Pilot and most other American businesses).

During the last war, Philco did a lot of aero-engineering work and became Airmec who then held the export licence for Philco products in Europe and most of the Commonwealth variously badged 'Airmec' or 'Philco'. Airmec then became a wholly British company and in time the UK Philco brand passed to EMI's BRC and then Thorn until Philco reverted to their American parents and as part of Ford Motors, Detroit.

A more complete history is told in my book, 'A Truvox Product'

Barry
Old 10th Nov 2011, 1:41 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

There's a Philco 98 here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...4/M0013904.pdf

Dunno if it's your model, this is an American Site.

If it is, though, it's an impressive set- RF stage and push pull output....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Nov 2014, 9:07 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Can anyone fill us in on their activity in the UK? Did they have a factory here?
Here it is, in Wadworth Road, Perivale, in 1935: https://www.***********/photos/stockc...57626805671341

This is what it looks like now: https://www.***********/photos/stockc...57626805671341
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:13 pm   #8
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Philco confusion.

Having just purchased a lovely “Peoples set” I’m a little confused about the company that manufactured it.
Doing Wikipedia search on “Philco” brings up an American company and nothing about a UK one.
Was there two totally different companies with exactly the same name, one from the USA and one from the UK?
Or is this the same company that had a branch in the uk that made such radios as the People set and other models?
I’d be grateful if someone could put me in the picture.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:26 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Philco confusion.

Philco originated in the US, but later established a manufacturing capability in the UK. Much of the UK styling and circuit desgn was influenced from the Parent Comany, especially in the late 1950s audio range.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:34 pm   #10
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The UK company was Philco Radio of Great Britain. The American company though the same in name was run as a separate company, Philco, Philadelphia Stg. Batt. Co.; USA.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:42 pm   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

My guess is that the Philco (Philadelphia) company is primarily American. I have many American made Philco radio & TV sets.

However there was what I call "English Philco".

Every English Philco TV set I have seen is constructed from all English parts, for example vintage English Philco TV's all English components valves, CRT's & designs, not an American component or screw thread in sight.

So perhaps it was just the name that was used with royalties, or maybe an entirely different entity, I would also be interested in the answer to your question.

This is not the only example, there is also what I call "English Motorola" For example English made car radios with AF117's in them and Mullard capacitors, again clearly not American designed, but with Motorola labels/logos, I have one in a vintage car.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 1:55 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I asked this question in 2011 and got these answers:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75222

Motorola's uk output was made by Sydney Bird (Cyldon).
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:30 pm   #13
MurphyNut
Heptode

Thanks kevin, odd your thread was closed only after 7 post's, it was just starting to get interesting.
Looks like it is the same company then, but there is nothing remotely American looking with my set at all.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:47 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Threads merged
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:59 pm   #15
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post

However there was what I call "English Philco".

Every English Philco TV set I have seen is constructed from all English parts, for example vintage English Philco TV's all English components valves, CRT's & designs, not an American component or screw thread in sight.
I am not sure thats quite true Pre War even the 444 uses American valves and used a funny specially made MAZDA output valve PENDD61 ISTR that Philco were getting their wrists slapped for using cheaper imported valves which was against BREMA's rules.

I think Gerry once told me that Philco Pre-War supplied sort of knock down kits so that a minimum amount could be done in the UK to count as "local production"

Certainly a lot of Pre War Philco sets look pretty American compared to most other UK models and use a lot of American parts.
Old 9th Jan 2018, 9:22 pm   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

Two posts moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=142875
Closed Thread