UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2007, 9:56 pm   #1
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Regency tr1-g

I have recently been looking at one of these and found after replacing 3 of the 4 electrolytics and the signal diode that it will work if I attach an external aerial to the tuning capacitor.

Silence otherwise, though once or twice it worked for a few seconds after power applied with the internal ferrite aerial.

I am guessing that one or more of the transistors is warming up and gain going down? Or could it be something else?

I have no npn germanium transistors to substitute could I use a silicon one or has anybody suggest alternatives.
Old 5th Dec 2007, 10:57 pm   #2
molochkartovski
Tetrode

Default Re: Regency tr1-g

These transistors wouldn't be AF117's would they?

Richard
Old 6th Dec 2007, 12:17 am   #3
Barnmead
Pentode

No, the transistors are colour coded 1956 vintage housed in oval metal cans with leads in line. Some of the earliest TI transistors. I believe one or more are type TI223. The output stage is pnp of same construction.
Old 6th Dec 2007, 8:12 am   #4
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Richard,

You can find a schematic for the TR1 at http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...ew.php?id=1924 . Have you replaced all of the ceramic cased electrolytics? In my experience, these are notorious for drying out with the capacitance falling almost to zero.
Old 6th Dec 2007, 1:48 pm   #5
Barnmead
Pentode

Hi John

Thanks for the website it looks interesting, though I have already the same diagram, which is for a TR1. Although similar in many respects the TR1_G has a npn output stage, additional resistors and a slightly different printed circuit layout to the TR1.

I found somewhere that the transistors in the TR1 are as follows:
TI223,TI222,TI222 and TI210

The first transistor in my set is a 2N172 the numbers on the others cannot be read unless I remove them.

As mentioned three capacitors have been changed apart from the one across the supply which is OK