UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2018, 1:45 pm   #1
Jim Cousins
Diode

Default 1930s (?) Domestic MW/LW Radio. Identity?

I'm new to this forum having semi-retired from the pro-audio industry as a product designer, sound system designer, acoustical consultant and Smaart tutor. I now put together user guides and training materials for a living.

My wife came across this derelict 1930s(?) domestic radio when clearing the house a relative who needed to go into care. It has no manufacturer's name anywhere - in fact, it was so basically made that I assumed it was a simple kit radio until I realised it was probably made during the 1930s recession. (See attached photos. I have many more that include internal details, if anyone's interested)

I've delved enough to know that the remaining valve line-up includes a DW9 pentode(?) made by Unis of France, an A430N triode(?) made by TrioTron of Austria, and a 354V triode(?) of unknown origin. It appears to be a TRF receiver.

Most of the under-chassis resistors are Austrian, and the capacitors are made by Hellesens here in the UK. The loudspeaker is marked as an F Series from The British Rola Company ...ON (I assume London), England.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on it's origin.

Sadly, most of the wiring insulation has long-gone, but, if anyone within collecting distance of Bicester is interested in it for historic or component interest, I'm happy to donate it to a good home free-of-charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front1.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	154794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside1.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	154795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Front.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	154796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Chassis 1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	154797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacitors2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	154798  

Old 1st Jan 2018, 11:02 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 1930s (?) Domestic MW/LW Radio. Identity?

It's a TRF using (most probably) an anode bend detector (the 354V) but beyond that I don't know. There are possibly one or two valves missing one being the rectifier.

Someone here may recognise it and give more info.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 10:22 am   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Looking at the cabinet styling suggests French to me. There is a French Marconi here reminiscent of that style, https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi_253.html and they seemed to source components from various places at that time.
Just a guess,really, but at least a valve in common. Tony
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 1:22 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Looks a bit like a Lotus, but they have a metal rectifier.

Peter
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 1:54 pm   #5
Jim Cousins
Diode

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I forgot to mention the two empty valve holders - one, as you mentioned, would have been a rectifier. (One appeared to have some wires tacked on, by the way).

Thank you for the suggestion. I also found this Finnish one that appeared to be based upon similar lines - www.radiomuseum.org/r/viesti_313.html.

Interesting stuff. It seems that OEM chassis were sold to cabinet makers - rather like B/W TVs were in the 1950s-60s.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 9:43 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's quite stylish, which with the French track record for many different "Modele inconnu" sets with similar chassis might be the (unhelpful) best answer you get.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 12:25 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

That wiring looks to be a bit of a 'rats nest'. I wonder if perhaps it was a kit or even a home-brew from a published design? It sort of looks as if someone has thrown components into the chassis and just wired them up from where they landed!
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 9:25 am   #8
Viewmaster
Hexode

If it were French the word STOP on the dial would be spelt ARRETA ?
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 5:34 pm   #9
greenstar
Octode

Unless the dial is a bought in component like the caps. I think this is a lovely radio. I wouldn't want to tidy it up - the chaotic wiring gives it character! But I have seen Philip's sets that are no better. Is the underside of the chassis painted?
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 6:36 pm   #10
PJL
Dekatron

Looks homemade to me. I have what I take to be a kit radio of the same period but the chassis has been folded properly and painted. Yours looks pretty rough and ready! Interesting resistor/capacitors which seemed to be marked 'Austria'. A better picture of the underside would help us identify what the missing valves would have been.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 9:06 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
If it were French the word STOP on the dial would be spelt ARRETA ?
ARRET perhaps. Though STOP I believe has snuck in recently.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Jan 2018, 11:45 am   #12
Jim Cousins
Diode

Thank you for the suggestion. Some of those French models look fabulous. Sadly, in comparison, this looks as though it's been build by "a man in a shed".

The chassis is a simple inverted U shape wood-screwed to wooden end blocks. The whole assembly is then wood-screwed in place by two wood screws from the underside of the chassis.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 5:50 pm   #13
greenstar
Octode

I just want to say thanks to Jim, as he offered me this set and I have it now at home.
I would go for it's being a kit set. The cabinet is well made, would have needed some skill and things like rebate planes to make the grooves for the sliding back, which are accurately cut. The chassis is also accurately worked despite it's wooden ends, all screw holes exact and holes for valve holders punched out. The paxolin panel is stamped with socket functions and seems made for the set. There seems no brand name on the coil, which is well made, the variable capacitor is a Keystone, British Made, which I have never heard of. So this seems to rule out Telson and Lissen.
There are odd things. The right hand missing valve isn't - the socket is a voltage selector, and is stamped with 220, 240, 230, with a wire to a screw connection, although the paxolin disc has B4 holes in it and is from a valve socket. The other missing valve was the rectifier.
I hope to have a better look soon.
Tony
Closed Thread