UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:36 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Bush ac/dc AM/FM radio

Hi folks

First off, apologies for a rather vague question here but I'm hoping it'll jog someone's memory as the question has been asked and answered before but I can't find it.

I have a Bush AC/DC radio which was bought by my parents and latterly used by my late father. The problem is that the VHF stopped working quite a long time ago, AM fine. It has a sort of diecast box looking FM tuner head and uses basically a Mazda version of the UCC85 as the active device. My father (ex Marconi, Chelmsford) was unable to find the fault and I've had a go at it and I haven't been able to find it either. It looks like the oscillator isn't running. I've tried all the obvious stuff and the voltages around the oscillator aren't correct. Somewhere in my forgetory I remember that a chap mentioned something about a trimmer in the tuner head that develops a fault that stops the oscillator. Often a tiny 'tweak' clears the short and the oscillator bursts into life. Obviously I want to avoid randomly tweaking the FM head unit. I seem to remember there was a picture showing which trimmer was the guilty one and I thought 'Ah ha I must remember that' and I have of course now forgotten.

Can someone please enlighten me.

Thanks

Tim
Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:42 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush ac/dc AM/FM radio

This the type of item?
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=97989
Old 4th Jan 2018, 5:52 pm   #3
flyingtech55
Octode

Wow....that was quick. That looks suspiciously like the thread that I remember. Thanks a lot Frank...brilliant.

Last edited by flyingtech55; 4th Jan 2018 at 6:09 pm. Reason: Inserted Frank's name
Old 5th Jan 2018, 5:21 pm   #4
mark2collection
Hexode

Our Bush VHF61 had a similar issue. After recapping the set, performance was improved no end, but it would still crackle/cut out on FM (one of the original issues before the work).

Removing the die cast cover revealed (from memory) two vari-caps, looking suspiciously silver plated under the tarnish. Having previously marked their positions, I sprayed a little Ambersil contact cleaner (not Servisol, it can be a bit oily in this application) on the vari-caps, rotated each control in turn, 360-odd degrees, half a dozen times or so. Putting the vari-caps back where they were, I then ran through the alignment procedure.

Touch wood, hasn't missed a beat in 10 years ...

Mark
Old 6th Jan 2018, 3:23 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Just give it a tweak, its the bottom one from memory, and it will go, with a bit of luck!
Closed Thread