UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 5:24 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Car radio conversion to FM

A friend asked about having FM added to his AM only car radio. I explained the difference between AM and FM decoding and said I didn't know that this could be done easily.

We then found the Aurora FMR 2.8. The instructions for fitting this imply that it replaces the original radio including amplifier but that it somehow retains use of the tuner and volume control. There appear to be no connections to the original radio except for using the power switch. Here is a link to the instructions https://www.tadpoleradios.co.uk/StandardConversion.pdf

Is this possible, and if so how is it done? Does it pick up the oscillator frequency or something like that?
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 6:38 pm   #2
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Car radio conversion to FM

I have just seen that the instructions are for radios where the module has already been fitted so probably it isn't as "magic" as it appeared
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:04 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There are prices on the web site for having a radio converted or radios for sale that have had the conversion.
Just how the matching of the original controls work with the new radio I don’t know. It’s a bespoke service so it isn’t cheap.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:10 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Yes, I had seen the prices. Around £200 or so. The modules are available from America for around £120 but I wouldn't like to undertake fitting one. For me the simpler alteration of adding an aux input to the volume control is preferable in view of the price and it does at least use the existing amplifier.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 10:16 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Build a Minimod and then you can plug whatever you want into that and transmit it onto a quiet spot on the MW band! Very cheap and easy to build, and sound good too!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 4th Aug 2021, 7:34 am   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

That is what I do in the house but I feel that for radio in a car the direct connection to the volume control is more satisfactory. The problem I can envisage is that the lead connecting the two is usually used as the aerial.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 7:58 am   #7
Cobaltblue

There are loads of little conversion modules available these usually give you an FM Radio Blue Tooth and slots to play MP3's here's and example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174872453...QAAOSwyrZhCfY4

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread