UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2021, 8:28 am   #1
DNorris40
Diode

Default Telefunken Opus 7 turntable connector.

Morning All, on the back of the Opus 7 are 2 inputs, the first a DIN socket for tape and secondly another type of socket for connecting the record player. I am trying to fathom out what type of connector this is, where I would get one and how it should be wired. Basically it looks like it has 2 round pins left and right and a rectangle shaped pin between them.

Any thoughts please?

Dave
Old 27th Jul 2021, 8:43 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Telefunken Opus 7 turntable connector.

This sounds like the socket that Philips used on their radios and tape recorders.

The central pin is a dummy. I think there was a convention that inputs had flat pins and outputs had round pins. The outer 2 pins are signal and ground, one of the sockets should be marked with an earth symbol.

A pair of 4mm plugs will fit in most cases. If not, try 1/8" wander plugs if you can find any.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 12:37 am   #3
DNorris40
Diode

Tony, thanks for the info. I will have a search and see what I can find.

Dave
Old 31st Jul 2021, 4:29 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The service manual for my Telefunken Magnetofon 85 tape recorder describes an add-on 'diode socket' plate that could be fitted to radio sets in place of the pickup socket and which provided a 3 pin DIN socket for the tape recorder and a replacement pickup socket.

I have attached the diagram of this unit which may helo with the pickup socket. That is shown at the top of the diagram, note the 2 outer sockets, one is earthed the other is signal. The central flat pin is also earthed, but as I said it was rarely connected in the plug (one suggestion I read was that the main reason for the central pin was to prevent the audio plug being plugged into a mains socket)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telefunken_diode_socket.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	238558  
Closed Thread