UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2012, 8:03 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Cossor CR1604

Hi
Please can any body give me some hints as to how to get access to the insides of a Cossor CR1604.
There look like their are some plastic tabs on the underside but I dont want to break anything as they are likely to be brittle with age.
Does the top deck come off?
Thanks
Mike
Old 3rd Aug 2012, 12:39 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor CR1604

Most Cossor units of this era are Philips in disguise. Can you get some pictures up so we can identify it that way?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 5th Aug 2012, 4:32 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Steve
here are some pictures, the second one shows the plastic tab which I think is a catch to release the bottom cover, but not sure and dont want to break them.
Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cossor1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	69401   Click image for larger version

Name:	cossor2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	69402   Click image for larger version

Name:	cossor3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	69403   Click image for larger version

Name:	cossor4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	69404  
Old 5th Aug 2012, 5:04 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think you will find the star pattern screws on top and side and likely the screws in the feet will release it. The didn't generally use plastic tabs in the days that was made.

Peter
Old 5th Aug 2012, 5:06 pm   #5
whyperion
Hexode

I start by undoing all those Star headed screws (they are not normally a tight fit and a flat blade screwdriver should do it). There might be one or two hidden in the mains lead compartment too and a couple under the head cover. I think the plastic tabs help locate the upper area to the base prior to tightening up the screws on re-assembly.
Old 7th Aug 2012, 9:41 pm   #6
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Mike,
From memory - pull off the 3 volume/level/tone knobs and speed change control. Knobs might be tight to pull off! Undo all of the star screws and the top shell should lift off. Lift left side first, so that it can clear the handle. I think the speaker may be fixed onto the top shell and will have a long wire to allow servicing? This machine is electrically similar to the Philips EL3548, although there are some mechanical differences.
Old 7th Aug 2012, 10:24 pm   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

Thanks everyone I will try entering the machine from the top as suggested once I have got my Sons guitar amp of my bench.
I have just had a devil of a problem with it, but that’s a story for another forum topic.
Cheers
Mike
Old 9th Aug 2012, 9:05 pm   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi
I have removed the top cover and sides by removing the said screws.
I was surprised to see a hybrid arrangement with what looks like on first glance an ECL82, and an OC44 and OC75.
One of the belts has turned into goo.
I think I am going to offer this on the forum if anyone is interested as I am running out of space and tape machines are not really my thing.
I have not tested it yet so dont know how or if it will work but the machine looks to be fairly clean and tidy apart from the goo.
Mike

Mike
Old 10th Aug 2012, 7:35 am   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

Just a note to any one looking for information on this machine it seems the circuit and chassis are similar to Philips EL3548
Mike
Closed Thread