UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2012, 5:06 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Cossor 375AC

Very kindly given to me by a visitor to the forum, it's a proper Deco Cossor and a model I had been keeping an eye out for.

As it was fairly original (and dirty) with only replacement electrolytics and a PM24B instead of the PT41, I decided to do a proper job on it and have stuffed the capacitors. The electrolytics box is not right but it at least came with the set. Only problem I had was with a shorting tuning condensor due to blisters forming on the cast alloy vanes. Discovering it was a common ailment, I planed them off with a scissor blade. Although there are a few spots of rust on the chassis top, the underside is copper plate and not rust.

The 'character' feature on this set is a centre tapped volume control with Gram in one direction and radio in the other. On this radio, the volume never reduces to zero at centre and increases slightly on gram but I am not going to risk a repair to this irreplaceable part.

The cabinet was very dried out. I used a shellac based restorer which has brought the colour out and filled in the varnish cracks but, despite being completely clear, it has darkened the wood more than I would have liked made worse still by the camera flash. The speaker cloth was torn and dissintegrating so I have replaced it with some silk material I had bought from a carboot in the summer. The cellulose dial has shrunk badly but still does the job.

The radio is very sensitive, selectivity and image rejection aren't bad either, it's tolerant of interference, and sounds pretty good. Not bad at all for a Cossor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	62824   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	62825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	62826  
Old 20th Feb 2012, 7:00 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Cossor 375AC

Lovely. I do like the Art Deco styling.

Andrew
Old 20th Feb 2012, 7:37 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi the cabinet looks fine to me, splendid job with the works I love these Art Deco sets ,mine also suffered from shrinkage of the dial.
When looking at ladies blouses for sale at the car boot, have you noticed that you get some funny looks
Old 20th Feb 2012, 7:47 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Although I will admit to cutting up womens wear in the past, this silk was leftover from lamp shade manufacturing. I bought enough to last a while, the colour is perfect being a black base with antique gold but the style is too modern really.

The metal frame is just painted monkey metal and it should be a light gold colour but has faded to silver. I was going to try to restore the cloth but it is not a tear as such, it is just falling apart!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As was.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	62854  

Last edited by PJL; 20th Feb 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old 20th Feb 2012, 8:22 pm   #5
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Looks like a nice job to me mate, can't see anyone complaining about having that in their lounge.
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 11:42 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

That really has come up a treat, I think the speaker cloth suits the set well.
I like the quality of these pre-war Cossor's, they were very well built & perform well once restored.

Mark
Closed Thread