UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2011, 6:47 pm   #1
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sankyo "triple decker" clock/radio/cassette

I purchased this unusual combination system recently, fairly sure there arent many around and weren't many made but it uses a standard sankyo clock movement and cassette player (not sure the origins of the radio circuitry but i assume it is sankyo as well) It looks like it was made sometime between the late 70s and early 80s.

I have two questions;

The speaker sometimes exhibits buzzing/humming, but this goes away when I touch my finger to the metal sockets on the back. Is there any way to properly remedy this?

My second (more important) question:

One of the numbers on the clock (it's a rotating drum clock) had a smudge on it. I tried to clean it off with alcohol but it wiped some of the number off the (transparent backlit) drum. Now the number looks like its smudged/dirty constantly.

I will not be able to find a replacement drum, as the partucular style of the numbers (made to look like 7 segment displays) is the rarest they made.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to restore the translucent white of the number?
Old 1st Oct 2011, 8:30 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Sankyo "triple decker" clock/radio/cassette

We really need a picture of the said drum, but how about waterslide transfers, maybe printing the numerals by taking pictures of an intact drum?

As for the buzzing, has the chassis become live?
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 11:08 am   #3
neosodium
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sankyo "triple decker" clock/radio/cassette

The chassis has certainly not become live the mounting for the radio circuitry is plastic. (the chassis of the cassette and clock are metal)

Here is a photo I took of the drums - the numbers seem to be printed onto glossy stickers. They are all overlapping, and a mask blocks off the parts of the numbers that are not displayed.

Each drum is slightly different, as they have a different number of numerals. I did consider scanning the affected drum but that would require removing the strip of numerals and potentially causing even more damage. I'm also fairly sure I could not match the material used.

By waterslide transfers do you mean the modelling type? that's something I didnt think of, but it would be difficult to find the right ones and don't they lift off again with the application of water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sankyo.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	56892  
Closed Thread