UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2011, 7:21 pm   #1
musherrob
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kodak disc film.

Hi all,

Have been delving into the murky depths of my mothers loft and came across this (attached pic) of a circular slide negative. Can some kind member recognise it and please say what projector it was used on? Or is there a company that can develop this?

Thanks, Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0787.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	54278  
Old 24th Jul 2011, 9:24 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: slide projector

Hi Rob its from a Kodak Disc Camera I guess you could try a traditional Camera shop or try an internet search.
There some more info here
Have fun

Mike T
Old 24th Jul 2011, 9:29 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: slide projector

That's from the Kodak Disc 4000 (I think that's what it was called) system from the 1980's. The film was in a cartridge, not unlike a Floppy Disk in appearance, that was slid into the camera.

What you have is the film negatives and not slides in the general acceptance of the word. Producing the positives required special equipment peculiar to this system as I recall, so I'd think you'd have trouble nowadays finding anyone with the required equipment and knowledge. Perhaps other members can advise on that better than I can.
Old 25th Jul 2011, 1:18 pm   #4

Default Re: Kodak disc film.

You could get it scanned and then print out the piccies yourself.

Old 25th Jul 2011, 1:38 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Yes, the easiest approach nowadays would be to scan the disc with a high resolution scanner, invert the colours, and chop out the individual pictures, rotating them as necessary. You could do this yourself if you have a good scanner.
Old 25th Jul 2011, 2:34 pm   #6
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

When I was younger (9 or 10) I got myself a Kodak disk camera from a carboot sale, and it worked superbly, and the pictures were pretty good too (despite the mother's claims that they would be grainy and horrible!!), the only issue was by then, film disks were becoming a little hard to find, so it saw little use, and I have no idea what happened to it...

Neat idea though, a compact camera to keep in your pocket for those quick snapshots, and the film was easy to change...
Old 25th Jul 2011, 7:19 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - years ago I got one as a present for my mother who had trouble changing any sort of films. The results were disappointing, even allowing for my mother's efforts!
ISTR Kodak gave up after receiving numerous complaints of grainy blurry pictures and gave generous trade-ins against conventional cameras, so you rarely see the cameras themselves.
Glyn
Old 25th Jul 2011, 7:49 pm   #8
Courtney Louise
Octode

I have a film scanner that I might be able to modify to use this

Andi
Old 4th Aug 2011, 11:03 pm   #9
retroguy
Retired Dormant Member

My grandparents had one of these cameras. As I recall, you needed to go to a reputable photo lab because it was intended to be used with a particular enlarger. Of course, most smaller photo labs just tried using their standard enlargers, which would give poor results. That said, it was never the best format in the first place.

I think some Kodak Express centres will still offer developing services, including a CD of the pictures at an extra charge - but the cost is quite dear - about £20 to have it processed (if it isn't already) and an extra £15 for printing. I assume printing a pre-processed disc would cost a bit more. It would appear the following companies still tackle discs:

http://www.oldfilmprocessing.com/Dis...developing.asp

http://processc22.webs.com/
Old 6th Aug 2011, 9:18 am   #10
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I had one of these cameras years ago and it is clear that the enlargement needed was very much greater than usual. It was adequate for enprint size but anything bigger had a strong chance of being grainy. The other problem is that with the high enlargement, blur due to camera shake and poor focussing would be emphasised. I understand that the enlargers had lenses specially designed for this and that there was a bar-code to control the enlargement exposure and also there might have been a code control the initial development.
Closed Thread