UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2011, 11:57 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Vintage nixie clock

Hi,

I've been told this clock was made around 1967 from a published circuit, but that's it.

Can anybody identify where the circuit came from, maybe (hopefully) even have a copy?

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	53630   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	53631   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	53632   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	53633  
Old 9th Jul 2011, 12:21 am   #2
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: Vintage nixie clock

Is this the one sold on eBay a few days ago? If not you could try to trace that auction and ask the seller.

To me it looks like a homebuilt design with decade counter boards from RS and some extra logic added.

Do you have problems with it or are you just interrested in the circuit?
Old 9th Jul 2011, 12:29 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Yes it is the one from ebay. The seller made the clock, from a circuit, in 1967 but that's all he can remember.

I'd like to find a copy of the circuit to help me get it working again.

Regards
David
Old 9th Jul 2011, 12:35 am   #4
Dekatron
Octode

What is working and what is not working? I might be able to help you as I am into Nixies and other cold cathode valves.

Last edited by Dekatron; 9th Jul 2011 at 12:35 am. Reason: spelling....
Old 9th Jul 2011, 8:06 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Didn't the seller say that he had built it as part of a design course? If so, I don't suppose that a published design would have been accepted for such an assignment.
Old 9th Jul 2011, 8:10 am   #6
KeithsTV
Nonode

I doubt if it was made in 1967 as the 7490 in picture 2 has a date code from 1971. There was a nixie clock in Practical Electronics in December 1970 but I'm 99.9% certain it's not that one. I have a feeling that there was a similar clock in Practical Wireless in the early 70s but I don't have a copy.

I suspect it would date from 71 -73 as LED displays were becoming available at an affordable price around that time removing the need for high voltage supplies.

If you check the date codes on the ICs that should give a fair idea of the construction date.

The circuit should be fairly simple. A divider driven from a squared up 50Hz signal from the low voltage side of the transformer generates a pulse every minute. This drives the minutes counter set to count from 0 to 59. There'll be an output from the minutes counter which drives the hours counter which will count 0 to 12 or 0 to 23 depending whether its set to 12 or 24 hour mode. There'll also be a means of bypassing the first divider to allow fast setting of the time. The power supply will generate 5v at an amp or so for the TTL and about 200v for the nixies.

The minutes and hours counters, probably all 7490s, drive the nixies via 7441 BCD to nixie drivers.

I can scan the PE Dec 70 circuit as a guide if you wish.

Keith
Old 9th Jul 2011, 12:40 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Didn't the seller say that he had built it as part of a design course? If so, I don't suppose that a published design would have been accepted for such an assignment.
We mustn't dwell on the Ebay aspect, as we could get in trouble but you're thinking of the sellers, mechanical, nixie clock (which I also won)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
If you check the date codes on the ICs that should give a fair idea of the construction date.
Hi Keith, I never knew they had dates, please tell me how to read them. I'm also interested in your PE circuit, so a PM is on its way

Thanks
David
Old 9th Jul 2011, 1:02 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

The date codes are 4-digit numbers giving the year and week of manufacture. An IC date code of, say, 8521 means week 21 of 1985.
Old 9th Jul 2011, 1:42 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for that. There's one chip with 745 on it so let's say the clock was made around 1974.

Now for some questions... I recognise most of the IC's apart from BP-00, BP-10 and BP-90. Can anybody tell me what they are and do?

Does anybody know it the bridge rectifier, in the attached photo, is silicon or selenium?

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	53646  
Old 9th Jul 2011, 3:03 pm   #10
Dekatron
Octode

Those ic's that you name might be second source for 7400, 7410 and 7490 which are usually used in these clocks, the last one is a counter and the other are nand gates.

I have included a schematic drawing from the "Texas Instruments designer's Handbook" from the early 70's which shows a simple 12 hour Nixie clock, maybe your clock is based on that design, I hope it will help you to get it running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ticlock.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	53654  

Last edited by Dekatron; 9th Jul 2011 at 3:04 pm. Reason: spelling....
Old 9th Jul 2011, 3:20 pm   #11
jjl
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Does anybody know it the bridge rectifier, in the attached photo, is silicon or selenium?
David
That would be a silicon rectifier, probably a 10 Amp or so type, a bit meatier than is really required for the current required by your clock.

John
Old 9th Jul 2011, 3:43 pm   #12
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for all the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatron View Post
Those ic's that you name might be second source for 7400, 7410 and 7490 which are usually used in these clocks, the last one is a counter and the other are nand gates.
But there's one BP-00, two BP-10's and four BP-90's.

Anyhow, I've attached a photo of it "working". Hopefully replacing the 7441's and checking the capacitors will sort it out?

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	53655  
Old 9th Jul 2011, 5:44 pm   #13
Dekatron
Octode

If the figures do not light up completely they are probably affected by cathode-poisoning, which most Nixie's get sooner or later if they are lit every hour. You can read more about cathode poisoning and how to cure it here: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nix...-poisoning.htm

It can also be to low voltage for the Anodes on each nixie which results in too low current for th digits to light up completely.

I'd swap positions on the Nixies to see if they light up in all positions and which numbers can be seen and which are foggy.

Then I'd try each of the RS boards by adding a 5V signal t the links numbered A,B,C and D via a resistor to not burn the outputs of the 7490's driving each 7441, then you can see if the display changes accordingly.

If you can post a picture of the prototype boards, the two beside the RS counters and the one staning on its side it might be possible to discern what they are for.
Old 9th Jul 2011, 6:46 pm   #14
KeithsTV
Nonode

I suspect the BP-00, BP-10 and BP-90 are from Bi-pak and are the same as the TI 7400, 7410 & 7490.

The 7441 is the nixie decoder driver and was replaced by the 74141 which I believe is an improved version. If you have to replace them use the 74141, it's pin compatible with the 7441.

Keith
Old 10th Jul 2011, 8:21 am   #15
KeithsTV
Nonode

Here's the circuit of the PE clock from Dec70. it uses a mixture of 7490 & 7492s in the counter chain. The 7492 is similar to the 7490 but divides by 12 instead of 10. Note that the 7490 & 92 have 2 sections, one divides by 2 and the other divides by 5 or 6.

One other point is that these dividers have their supply pins on pins 10 (gnd) and pin 5 (+5v) rather than the more usual corner pins (7 & 14 for a 14pin DIL)

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PE digi clock circuit.PDF (46.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 10th Jul 2011, 9:59 am   #16
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks Keith,

It's definitely not the circuit for my clock but it's very similar. It's nicely drawn which makes it easier for me to see how these things work.

FWIW, the original owner remembers the, seconds counting, LED to be a feature of this circuit. Maybe this will help with finding the original circuit?

Thanks
David
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 10:12 am   #17
Dekatron
Octode

Could this be part of the circuit for the RS boards?

http://www.decodesystems.com/rs-nixie-2.gif
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 12:16 pm   #18
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for that Martin, although I don't think it's the same as my boards. They're really rather simply and just hold a 7490 and 7441 ic together with the anode resistor.

.... Anyhow, changing the 7441's got the clock working, apart from one worn out nixie. Setting the minutes, with the push button, can be a little hit and miss and the LED, which counts the seconds, seems to flash from dim to bright rather than on and off but this may be how it's intended to work?

I'll post some pictures when the cabinet is finished

David
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 12:25 pm   #19
KeithsTV
Nonode

It looks as if the RS board is laid out for the 7475 latch, which would be needed if it was to be used in a frequency counter. The latch is not needed for a clock so it is linked out. The board has markings "Links to bypass 7475 shown dotted"

Keith
Old 25th Jul 2011, 5:40 pm   #20
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Just in case anybody's interested in seeing it restored and working, I've put a video of it working on my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKM7RGm7wDs

David

Last edited by Radio_Dave; 25th Jul 2011 at 5:47 pm.
Closed Thread