UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2007, 7:40 pm   #1
EnglishElectric
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai 4000D. An idea of value please?

Hi,

this is my first post, so sorry if it's a boring predictable question

My Grandma has eventually decided to part with her late Husbands old HiFi gear. It's been standing for thirty or so years unused!

She has an Akai 4000D in original condition with box and instructions.

Can you people give me an idea of it's value please?

While I'm on, she has some other stuff, which means nothing to me I'm affraid...

Thorens Turntable. TD 135+ TD135 11

Sansui Stereo headphones SS20

The other items should be in good condition too.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Paul
Old 25th Mar 2007, 8:36 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Akai 4000D. An idea of value please?

Hello Paul. Lots of Pauls here. Noticed a good looking 4000D went for £75 on that well known auction site yesterday but someone else wants twice that. The first price seems realistic to me but it does depend on condition and demand. That site is a good rough guide but a high sale may just be luck rather than real value in my [unexpert] opinion. You might get interest on here but it would not be inflated. Also you'd need to be in the offered column and [catch 22] state a price to comply with the rules! Suggest you do a bit more research first.
Dave
Old 25th Mar 2007, 9:18 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

any machine left standing for that time will need dismantling, re-lubing and rubber replacing, along with possibly other parts like capacitors which may not like having power reapplied and fail. If sold as not working, you're unlikely to get more than about 50 notes (looking at typical prices on the 'bay, though i'm no expert). That said, cosmetic condition and original box etc mean a lot. It may be worth having a local tech run it over so you can sell it in good working condition. I have seen reconditioned, guaranteed ones sometimes go for hundreds, so money spent now may reap a dividend!
-Ben
Old 25th Mar 2007, 10:31 pm   #4
reelguy
Heptode

Paul ,
Personally I wouldn't spend any money having it checked out. Best sold as is without a guarantee. They are fairly common machines and some fetch a reasonable price £40 - £50 if in clean condition with box and instructions. On the big internet auction site you can put a reserve on it so it doesn't sell for less than you expect.. You could also try an advertisement in your local paper.
This is only my opinion.
Peter Reelguy.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 11:13 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Could well be the Thorens TD135 will be worth rather more: it's something of a classic idler-drive turntable, and Google reveals one sold lately for £200.

Paul
Old 26th Mar 2007, 8:21 pm   #6
EnglishElectric
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the good advice

Paul.
Closed Thread