UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2007, 11:17 pm   #1
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Question Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

Hello again!

I've been researching proper cleaning products for restoring pinch rollers, and keep coming back to the Caig stuff. But it only seems to be sold in the states, or the company want about 35 dollars to ship it to me!

Does anyone know of a similar recommended product in the UK?

New pinch rollers seem to be too expensive!

J
Old 21st Mar 2007, 8:51 am   #2
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

There is a NZ distributor for Caig who stocks the rubber cleaner so I'd be surprised if there wasn't one in the UK (a significantly bigger market!). A quick google throws up this company who do some Caig products - the rubber cleaners aren't there but it would be worthwhile contacting them to see if they can bring some in with their next shipment.

If the pinch roller is too far gone the best bet seems to be Terry's Rubber Rollers who can remanufacture it for you.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 9:12 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We always used either meths or IPA for all tape path cleaning. (Isopropanol, not the Greene King sort.)
Old 21st Mar 2007, 10:40 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

I've read on a number of forums that alcohol is not an ideal cleaner for rubber parts such as pinch rollers. That might not be 100% correct, but I've read more against using it than I have for using it!

For the rest of the tape path I use 100% IPA.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 11:27 am   #5
reelguy
Heptode

Reelguy here,

The trouble with pinch rollers is that they aren't all made of the same type of rubber or synthetic rubber. So what works ok on one pinch roller may ruin another.
If its only slightly dirty, I use a water moistened cloth dipped lightly in washing up liquid. Rub gently and dry properly. Otherwise I have used surgical spirit from the chemist or pharmacist ! { isopropanol}. Always dry the roller straight away after cleaning. I have used this method for years without problems.
35 dollars would probably buy a new or rebuilt pinch wheel. { Or even another recorder }
Regrds . Peter W Reelguy.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 11:35 am   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy View Post
....surgical spirit from the chemist or pharmacist ! { isopropanol}.....
AFAIK, surgical spirit is about 90% ethanol, 5% methanol, 5% water and a touch of oil of wintergreen to make it smell horrible. In other words the same as methylated spirits but without the blue dye or the pyridine.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 11:53 am   #7
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
We always used either meths or IPA for all tape path cleaning. (Isopropanol, not the Greene King sort.)
Hi.

I've been playing around with these things now for 44 years and I've always used meths (IPA always seemed rather ineffective) and I have never experienced a problem with adverse reactions.

Could be that I've just been lucky though!

Regards,

Roger.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 1:16 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I suppose that just a wipe rather than a soak won't do very much harm to anything.
You could even mix distilled water with any of the alcohols to "dilute" them.

If all else fails, just get a crate of the other sort of IPA and a bottle opener.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 1:29 pm   #9
Zulu95
Retired Dormant Member

Do not use alcohol to clean rubber it dries it out. When I worked at photocopiers we had a special cleaner for pickup wheels etc. Cost quite a lot for a small bottle but worked very well. I bought some for my Tandberg but it did not keep very well and evaporated over time.
You could try some of the local copier supply houses as I'm sure it's still made.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 2:32 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
We use a small spray called 'platenclene' intended for typewrites. Smelly but works - and doesn't harm rubber. CPC stock it under SAPCL100 and is less than a fiver. It cleans off the oxide - of course it can't perform miracles and de-groove a roller - but it's certainly less aggressive than IPA or 1.1.0 trichloroethane.
Might try Greene King, though....

Glyn
Old 21st Mar 2007, 3:01 pm   #11
mitajohn
Pentode

Hi all,

The traditional way to clean the parts which are come to contact with the tape (guides, rollers, heads...) is the use of "isopropyl alcohol" and is the best.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 3:20 pm   #12
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

Yeah, I use IPA on the tape path and heads, but it's just the rubber roller than could use something better. Considering it's a 37 year old bit of rubber, I'm cautious about cleaning it with anything but a recommended product!

I will check out Terry's rubber rollers, as my Tandberg 92 could use a new one as well really. If it's not too expensive, a new roller might just be better.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 6:25 pm   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Are they all actually rubber, though?
Old 21st Mar 2007, 7:47 pm   #14
igranic
Rest in Peace

The best stuff I have found is RRR Rubber Roller Restorer, made by Electrolube, and available from CPC as part number SA01296 at £5.13 (plus VAT). It seems to be really effective at bringing back the grip.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 8:12 pm   #15
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

I am still using IPA to clean the pinch wheel and heads on a 30-year old Akai 4000DS reel-reel machine without any trouble at all. Always have done - and probably always will. Works for me!

Al / Skywave.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 8:21 pm   #16
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
Do not use alcohol to clean rubber it dries it out. When I worked at photocopiers we had a special cleaner for pickup wheels etc.
Is there any moisture content in the material that pinch wheels are typically made of - which may be "rubber" ?

As I recall, the favourite for cleaning pickup rollers in photocopiers and the like (laser printers, et al) was trichlorotriflouroethane - which evaporates very fast! Probably unobtainable these days - ozone layer protection, etc.

Al / Skywave
Old 21st Mar 2007, 9:51 pm   #17
Zulu95
Retired Dormant Member

Not to mention it does a number on your liver and lungs!

I did a search on alltheweb.com and found a number of different rubber cleaners. RS and your local XXXXXinone supplier has them.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 9:55 pm   #18
James B
Retired Dormant Member

I did find that problem when looking for product too: A lot of stuff that used to be made for cleaning rubber has now been banned because of the chemicals in it!

Can't have any fun anymore can we!
Old 21st Mar 2007, 11:32 pm   #19
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

Thanks Igranic, I have ordered that RRR stuff from CPC (so many initials!)

Let's see if it makes a bit of an improvement before I opt for a new roller!
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 9:33 am   #20
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

We have seen many comments on the uses/products regarding pinch rollers, alas no one has given details of what "their" rollers require, cleaning off oxide, trying to restore the surface etc. etc. There are many products out there , many in my opinion of little use & some actually destructive. Regarding the RR restorer , personally I have found this a complete waste on the majority of rollers.

Without doubt the safer cleaners are as some replies have commented on IPA,meths, or the special head cleaner spray. Unless one is carrying out mass cleaning of rollers some of the more exclusive cleaners are not economic.

James in reply to your query re. your Tandberg roller I would NOT suggest using the RR restorer !!!!!!

Regarding the actual surface restoration (not groove rings or chips) I have found a very fine emery or similar abrasive on a flat piece of wood suitable (on the bench) plus a little patience & judicious use of the roller on the board. I would not claim it to be 100% on all rollers but in many cases the rollers come up in almost pristine condition, the Akai 4000 type large roller being a case in point In these days of rare spares & the pinch rollers being one of these take care of the rollers, as for re rubbering this can be almost as expensive as a new item(if available)

Where the roller has lost it's shape, gone very soft, is concave ,no restorer I have found will assist bin it ,new .... .. .. or rerubbered as a last resort.

Hope this helps .

Doffery.
Closed Thread