UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2007, 6:07 pm   #1
Banksy76
Retired Dormant Member

Default PHILIPS N4307 spare parts etc.

I own a Philips N4307 which is need of some TLC, Seems like it needs a new Vu meter. Anyone know of where i can obtain one? Also the only output I can find is the headphone output via a 6pin din plug. Could this be connected to a line in of say a CD recorder in order to transfer some old recordings?
Old 18th Mar 2007, 7:31 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: PHILIPS N4307 spare parts etc.

Hi,
I can't help with a VU meter but regarding connection to an external recording device such as a CD Recorder you should find a suitable output on pins 3,5 (linked) and 2 (ground) of the Radio/Gram DIN socket; the output from the headphone socket will be of the incorrect level and impedance for connection to a line level input and additionally will be dependent on the volume and tone control settings on the N4307 unlike the Radio/Gram output.

Incidentally if you wish to use the headphone socket for its intended use, i.e. to connect a pair of headphones, 6 pin "domino" to 1/4 inch jack (of the type used on most headphones) should be available from Maplins.

Regards
Andrew
Old 19th Mar 2007, 6:45 pm   #3
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: PHILIPS N4307 spare parts etc.

Try Doffery who is a member of the forum he may well be able to supply you with a new VU meter.
Old 19th Mar 2007, 6:50 pm   #4
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Just a point the Din speaker socket on the back is switched so when an extension speaker is plugged in it cuts off the internal one. I have known these to go open circuit so it doesnt reconnect.
Old 19th Mar 2007, 9:06 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Keith View Post
Just a point the Din speaker socket on the back is switched so when an extension speaker is plugged in it cuts off the internal one. I have known these to go open circuit so it doesn't reconnect.
I have seen this problem with 2 Pin switched sockets too, although If I recall some of the Philip's N4307/8 (and Pye clones) machines have a "2 way" Speaker socket which allows the plug to be inserted in one way to mute the internal speaker and the other way to leave the internal speaker connected; This may only have been possible on later machines however, the earlier machines only having a switched speaker socket.

Andrew
Old 21st Mar 2007, 1:11 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

all these units will need the drive belt changing, as they turn to goo. If yours is still the original, you'd want to to do this sooner rather than later as the clear up operation is very time consuming and dirty work!

Unless you're planning on recording, (which, on these machines, I have always found to be a weak spot) the VU meter is not essential (doesn't operate in PB)
Old 21st Mar 2007, 1:55 pm   #7
james f
Retired Dormant Member

I too have a Philips 4307, rediscovered in parental attic, and as ben predicted the belts have turned to goo. Could anyone advise on where to get new ones and the correct way to fit them? The machine has been in the family from new and worked well at its last outing in c. 1984. Thanks.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 3:03 pm   #8
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: PHILIPS N4307 spare parts etc.

Drive belts can be obtained from Colin Braddock tape recorder centre in Blackpool at a reasonable price, I paid £18 but that was about two years ago but the postal service was very good. Not easy to describe fitting in words but it is very straightforward.
Good luck.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 3:25 pm   #9
james f
Retired Dormant Member

thanks Andrew, have left him a message.
Old 21st Mar 2007, 6:30 pm   #10
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: PHILIPS N4307 spare parts etc.

OK James, hope all works out
Closed Thread