UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2018, 10:16 pm   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default HRO beautiful audio

I have just acquired an HRO receiver and a pair of old Hi Z phones. Oh boy, what a joy. I love valve audio anyway, but this is like angel delight in me lugoles. An 80 year old receiver singing sweet medium wave music into my head. It's just sublime.

You know what I mean...

David
Old 15th May 2018, 12:10 am   #2
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default Re: HRO beautiful audio

Nothing wrong with good old fashioned AM, who needs that new fangled FM thing?
Old 15th May 2018, 1:53 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Do you know to what extent it's had restoration work done on it, particularly replacement of the paper caps?

B
Old 15th May 2018, 6:23 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
I have just acquired an HRO receiver and a pair of old Hi Z phones. Oh boy, what a joy. I love valve audio anyway, but this is like angel delight in me lugoles. An 80 year old receiver singing sweet medium wave music into my head. It's just sublime.

You know what I mean...

David
Yes David,

The HRO-50-T1 I have has very mellow audio, it has a push-pull pair of 6V6s in the output stage and a tone control. I haven't got the matching speaker but it goes well with a bakelite-cased Magnovox of similar age.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 16th May 2018, 5:42 am   #5
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks Roger, i was wondering about a speaker.

As for cap replacement, im not sure. Ive only just got it so still learning about it.

D
Old 16th May 2018, 7:34 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Both HROs and AR88s can produce a very nice sound from a good broadcast into a speaker.

The important thing is to have the IF aligned correctly. They need to be stagger-tuned using a wobbulator (or sweeper) and a scope to get the intended shape on the wide bandwidth setting. Sweep the narrow bandwidth (crystal in) first, to find the exact frequency of that individual crystal, and then align on the wide bandwidth to get the right shape centred on that frequency.

David
Old 16th May 2018, 7:46 am   #7
G4YVM David
Heptode

Thanks David

D
Closed Thread