UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2012, 10:08 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Tandberg reel to reel series 15

Hi,
I recently bought the above machine for 4€ with its carrying case and it works well after a bit of TLC. The belts are a little stretched, but not too much of a problem for now. It has been dropped at sometime in its past as there was damage to one corner of the wooden case and the screws holding the deck in were bent . No mechanical damage though.
Anyway, to my question: I notice that there's a small low value (3.9 ohms, I think) wire wound resistor in series with the three ohm Tandberg speaker. The speaker & resistor are original and the machine has not been "got at" in any way.
I was just curious as to why the resistor was fitted. Any ideas chaps?
Cheers, Pete
Old 15th Aug 2012, 11:46 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Tandberg reel to reel series 15

I think the power amp in those models could do about 10 watts undistorted which I guess would be too much for the small internal speaker, hence the rather crude but effective power limiting resistor.

Tim
Old 15th Aug 2012, 6:16 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Tandberg reel to reel series 15

Hi,
Of course! Silly me, I remember now. It's mentioned in the user's handbook. Doh!
It says that the internal amp is ten watts, but the speaker is only three watts. A matching extension speaker was available as an accessory.
Many thanks for that kick up the memory, Tim!
Cheers, Pete