UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2012, 12:10 am   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Marconiphone 4218, help wanted.

I have the service manual for one of these. However the speed control does not work correctly. Even with the service manual I cannot remove the top cover. I can remove the control knobs and speed change knob, the six screws and also the head cover. However I cannot work out how to do the "tilt at the rear edge and pull forward to slide clear. I cannot get the cover past the piano key mechanism. Can anybody with any experience servicing these machines offer any help.
Old 29th Jul 2012, 2:43 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: marconiphone 4218 Help wanted

There's something of a knack to this. Try pressing the buttons down as you move the top cover up and over them.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 5th Aug 2012, 6:34 pm   #3
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: marconiphone 4218 Help wanted

Yes, success now, a bit of a fiddle. Thanks for the help, it was so much of a fiddle that I thought I had to be missing something.

The problem was actually the speed change not working properly. Investigation revealed that the motor mountings had sagged and replaceing them placed the speed change wheels at the correct hight for the mechanism. I am very pleased and using the recorder to listen to some old tapes.

The tape recorder even works vertically which I did not think that the Marconiphone models would operate in this orientation.

Thank you.
Old 6th Aug 2012, 8:06 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone 4218, help wanted.

These Thorn decks are brilliant, but I've not seen one marketed in a vertical cabinet.

Most tape decks will happily work horizontally or vertically (provided you've got spool retainers!), such as Truvox, Brenell, Ferrograph, Sony, Revox , Akai.... Its usually dependent on the motor mounts (rubber mounts or bolted direct to the deck) and the type of bearings (do they use thrust bearings etc) and size/weight of the tape/spools.

However, performance is usually best in only one position - and there can be a noticable difference between the two, especially in professional models. Trial and error will often show this up!

Barry
Closed Thread