UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2007, 10:44 pm   #21
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

It turns out my Tandberg roller is a Magical Mystery Tour model - there's a nice uneven wobble going on! Might be nice for something so I'll keep it for a while, but I have managed to remove and put it back on with a nifty trick involving electrical tape to hold on the turbax washers. So I think I will have it re-rubbered when I have chance!

Although my Model 9 roller appears in much worse condition also, it does grip and move the tape fine. But it's bound to be an improvement once that is re-rubbered, so I'll get them both done at the same time.
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 11:27 pm   #22
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Pinch Roller Rubber Cleaner

It will be interesting to see what the cost of Re rubbering comes to .?
Please let us know.
Peter .
Old 24th Mar 2007, 4:26 pm   #23
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy View Post
It will be interesting to see what the cost of Re rubbering comes to .?
Please let us know.
Peter .
Terry of Terry's Rubber Rollers fame wants $35 per roller for my Tandberg machines, and says it's $12.50 for postage of upto 4 rollers.

I won't be having them done for a little while as I need both my machines (no matter how wobbly) for a university theatre performance - I am using tape loops on stage!
Old 24th Mar 2007, 6:05 pm   #24
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi James,
You have mentioned your series 9000, which other model do you have?

Doffery
Old 25th Mar 2007, 3:51 pm   #25
James B
Retired Dormant Member

No series 9000 for me! I have a Model 9 (921 to be exact) which is the original half-track mono machine with the round corners (later ones went square). Needs some work doing on the preamp section as it distorts before I can get decent gain for the tape. But it sounds awesome for guitars!

I then bought a 4-track 3600XD to turn into a sort of mastering/tape echo deck, but unfortunately the electronics are failing on that (not to mention it nearly started a fire, ahem).

I most recently got a tatty 2-track 3000X for a tenner, to put the heads and other spares onto the 3600XD. But the 3000X cleaned up very well, works better than the bigger machine, and has no aspirations of pyromania so far. So I've gone the other way and taken a few bits from the 3600XD (spool locks and small bits) to put on the 3000X.

And so far, apart from a Bush TP50 and a selection of other cassette decks, that's my Tandberg collection!
Old 25th Mar 2007, 9:03 pm   #26
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry James I thought you were talking about the 9000, however re. the model 9 & distortion , it's probably the old trouble being a valve set, coupling / decoupling caps., as per the series 8.

Pity about the 3600XD a good machine, only possible cause for pyrotechnics I would suggest might be the cap. across the mains transf.!!!

Doffery
Old 26th Mar 2007, 3:17 pm   #27
James B
Retired Dormant Member

I suspected it was a cap as the typical burning caramel smell filled the house (much to everyone's annoyance) but when I opened it up, all the caps looked fine and didn't feel hot. The transformer itself was very hot though.

Also, the Dolby doesn't work; just makes a buzzing noise. But I'm not bothered about stuff like that as I use an extermal DBX unit instead.

"We want Dobly on it!"
Closed Thread