UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2007, 9:22 pm   #1
onewatt
Hexode

Default Tandberg cross field 3300x slipping/noisey clutch

Hi Peeps

I'm getting a taste for reel to reels, Hmmmm! The re-wind spool starts off noisey when in re-wind. It does re-wind eventually but sounds as if its metal to metal until it grips. What's the make up of the clutch and how does it come apart please? Also theVU meters don't work on play is this right?
Also which one do I keep Sony tc280 or the Tandberg 3300x? I'm thinking Tandberg but I am a bit of a Sony fanatic.
Thanks
onewatt
Old 13th Mar 2007, 11:02 pm   #2
Rod H
Triode

Default Re: Tandberg cross field 3300x slipping/noisey clutch

I still have one of these Tandbergs that I purchased new in 1974, together with a full service manual. It sounds as though it could either be the clutch or braking mechanism that might be out of adjustment. There are two pages in the manual covering these adjustments. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the page scans as attachments. If you do decide to keep the machine, then you're more than welcome to a scan of the full manual, which includes circuit diagrams (just let me know).

A problem with my machine at the moment is that it requires the 'figure of eight' drive belt replacing (does anyone know where they might be obtainable from?) This is the original belt and is badly perished, making the rewind action virtually useless.

I'd put my money on keeping the Tandberg, but then I'm biassed. I'd say the design of the internal electronics is probably to be preferred over the Sony, and the Tandberg also has the Crossfield head, which is quite an interseting feature that I don't think is to be found on any other manufacturer's machine.

Regards

Rod
Old 13th Mar 2007, 11:05 pm   #3
onewatt
Hexode

Hi Rod
Thanks for info. PM on its way.
Cheers
Onewatt
Old 13th Mar 2007, 11:30 pm   #4
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hello , re. the Tandberg, you will probably find the clutch cork pads have either fallen off or come apart, quite common in this range, the belt should also be replaced (if required I have these) The cork pads are available from a site in Norway but if you drink wine the cork(a good one) from a bottle will suffice, shape is unimportant, just slice it about 2mm, cut the slices in two, soon have the six pieces required.Fix to the underside of the spool carrier, trim if required to keep the correct height(thickness), away you go. You may have to adjust the spool / s height but this is quite simple when you have the manual.

Doffery
Old 13th Mar 2007, 11:32 pm   #5
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Rod, Crossfield heads were widely used on the Akai range.

Doffery
Old 14th Mar 2007, 4:13 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Thanks Doffery - not only will I now be able to repair my 3300's pads, I also have an excuse to drink a good bottle of wine!
Excuse me - I've an appointment with an off-licence....
Glyn
Old 14th Mar 2007, 6:57 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

keep the tandberg. Great machines. the one you have is far better spec than the tc280 (basic and somewhat mediocre machine IMHO)
Old 14th Mar 2007, 10:27 pm   #8
onewatt
Hexode

Thanks for info chaps.
I normally buy boxes of wine as I don't feel obligated to finish the entire contents (Actually I'm probably not capable) but I'll make an exception on this occasion and get a corked bottle.I'm partial to Australian wine does anyone know what there corks are like?
Thanks again Doffrey, I'll send you a pm regarding drive belts.
And I'll keep the Tandberg.
Onewatt
Old 15th Mar 2007, 9:54 am   #9
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

We could start a thread on best types of corks for use with the Tandberg range of machines. They do vary from region to region in the same country but it is the old type cork that is best not the solid type.

Doffery
Old 20th Mar 2007, 11:10 pm   #10
James B
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Tandberg cross field 3300x slipping/noisey clutch

Hello all

I would definitely recommend saving the Tandberg. I have 3 machines in my home studio: a model 92, a 3600XD and since last week a 3000X. I have a Sanyo machine at home that is crumbling, and ready for the tip. Maybe the Sony would be a similar example of crumbling Japanese rubbish compared to the Norwegian stuff!

I am after a figure-8 belt for my 3000X. I bought this machine last week for a tenner for spares for the 3600XD. It was tatty when I got it but cleaned up beautifully, and actually works better than the 3600XD which keeps breaking down. So I have decided to cannibalise the 3600XD for spares instead!

I bought a belt from an Italian dealer for my model 9 a while ago, but they seem to be out of stock now. They asked me for belt dimensions but measuring a stretched old belt is pointless, obviously! Aren't all the Tandberg figure-8 belts the same? If anyone can help me out with a supplier, I would be very grateful!

J
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 2:26 pm   #11
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Tandberg cross field 3300x slipping/noisey clutch

The fig 8 belt is the same for all the machines using this system, apart from the very first series 6 which used a slightly larger dia. belt.

I have the belts if you require same.

Doffery
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 9:58 pm   #12
Rod H
Triode

Hi Dofferey - have sent you a PM.

Rod H
Closed Thread