UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2008, 9:31 pm   #1
radio edgar
Pentode

Default Bakelite cleaning

Hi everyone
I have just come into proud possession of a bush dc90a
This is my first bakelite project and I am wondering about the cabinet.
It is in brilliant condition no scratches whatsoever but it is a bit dull.
I have looked back in this forum and in 2005 the advice was to use boot polish I was wondering if this is still the case or has a better solution come along.

kind regards
Paul
Old 25th Jun 2008, 10:12 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: bakerlite cleaning

Hi Paul,

Well, I have cleaned my DAC90a cabinet using tepid water and detergent, and grade 0000 wire wool (lots of rubbing with very little pressure).

Then, after copious rinsing, I used a tin of wax furniture polish, also applied with wire wool, and buffed with a cotton cloth. Doing this twice built up a really good shine.

Can't claim any originality for this technique - I read it on this forum!
Old 25th Jun 2008, 10:22 pm   #3
radio edgar
Pentode

hi
it seems as if polish is the way to go then
cheers for that

paul
Old 25th Jun 2008, 10:47 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Paul.

This is how I did mine: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=28209

I personaly would not use detergent as it's a bit aggressive. Soapy water (washing up liquid) should be fine to get all the surface grott off.

Rich.
Old 25th Jun 2008, 10:56 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
what I normally do is try brasso first, if this brings it up ok I leave it alone, if not then I use polishing paste no.5 and shoe polish! brings things up beautifully, I find that soaps and suchlike make it go very dull looking.
hope this helps!

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 12:31 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There seems to be a number of ideas on this Paul. Bakobryte paste is available via the Radiophile Mag [originally developed for GPO Bakelite phones I believe]. Incidentally, I have a thing about the Sherlock Holmes spelling but don't take it to heart! Dave

PS Might be Bakobrite-not sure!

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Jun 2008 at 12:51 am.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 8:34 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite cleaning

I would resist getting Bakelite too wet - it absorbs water quite a bit. A quick sloosh does no harm.

As Dave says, Bake-o-bryte is by far the best thing to polish it with (I had to check the spelling on the tube in my office!) possibly followed by wax polish.

The name originates from Leo Baekeland.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 4:21 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I use T-Cut which gives a glass like finish especially when polished with a lambs wool buff on a drill. To me I have found nothing better and I personally don't like boot polish as it comes off the cabinet when handled (onto clothes usually). It shouldn't be necessary to put any polish on Bakelite anyway.

I bought some dedicated No 5 Bakelite polish off ebay but to me the T-Cut gave just as good a finish at far less cost.

One thing I do is drop the entire case in boiling water before cutting where possible. This has two effects, one to melt away any wax/boot polish/etc that has been put on it and two it kills the shine totally giving a fresh surafce to work with.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 6:28 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
One thing I do is drop the entire case in boiling water before cutting where possible. This has two effects, one to melt away any wax/boot polish/etc that has been put on it and two it kills the shine totally giving a fresh surafce to work with.
As Mike said above, water (especially hot) is an enemy of Bakelite. Bakelite contains a porous filler which will absorb water, expand and ruin the surface shine. Once this shine is lost it cannot be replaced.

There's some really good Bakelite info, maintenance and cleaning advice here http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/bakelit1.htm

David
Old 26th Jun 2008, 6:31 pm   #10
radio edgar
Pentode

I must be honest I had reservations about using shoe polish for that very reason.
I think I will try and get some bake-o bryte
thanks to everyone for the advice
Regards
Paul
Old 26th Jun 2008, 8:54 pm   #11
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
As Mike said above, water (especially hot) is an enemy of Bakelite. Bakelite contains a porous filler which will absorb water, expand and ruin the surface shine. Once this shine is lost it cannot be replaced.

David

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting. I have heard that (some?) Bakelite MIGHT contain sawdust as a filler which on thinking about would not be too happy about water contact but as to killing the shine so that it can't be replaced, I can only say that this one started off filthy and has had a long boiling hot bath using washing up liquid and then given the T-Cut and buff wheel treatment.

I remain unconvinced that water will hurt Bakelite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front1.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	18120   Click image for larger version

Name:	side1.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	18121  
Old 10th Jul 2008, 9:33 pm   #12
mark pirate
Dekatron

I agree with david, T-cut is the best thing i have used to bring up bakelite,
once done i use a car wax & the results are fantastic
Cheers
Mark
Old 10th Jul 2008, 9:39 pm   #13
camtechman
Nonode

Here's the results after using Kiwi Dark Tan Shoe Polish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush DAC 90.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	18431  
Old 10th Jul 2008, 10:05 pm   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

....And here's the result of t-cut
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dac1.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	18435  
Old 10th Jul 2008, 10:14 pm   #15
camtechman
Nonode

#14,

Don't they look good & worth the effort when they come up like that.
Old 11th Jul 2008, 9:59 am   #16
don2233
Retired Dormant Member

I use bake o bryte and then clear bri wax furniture polish as it seals the bakelite and protects it and leaves it looking like new
Old 20th Jul 2008, 4:02 pm   #17
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I polished my DAC90A with shoe polish and it worked well. It had had a polish previously with SafeCut which is mild TCut so I've actually used both above methods. The polish is called Punch and it's only £1.19 from Robert Dyas and it dries and buffs up quickly and leaves no smears. I think several coats of beeswax does a better job but that takes ages .....

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Punch_brown_polish 001.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	18624  
Old 24th Jul 2008, 8:51 am   #18
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I see Howard has got the shine right .keeping it can be a problem , though on another thread re Tv22 Parafin and petrol was mentioned seams to work very well though.
I dont think you have to be too carefull about water ive had many bakalite cabinets in hot water and washing up liquid for a scrub up .they do come out dull but that has to be buffed up . I think the water is a problem when it is prolonged contact with damp etc .
Out of interest I belive most cabinets as we see them today have lost alot of their brightness of grain ,mottling .If you look inside otr undernieth it is more as it would b original .This is very unfortunate and irriversable i assume .I suppose its light damage . 20 years ago when i used to sell vintage radios at Bath fleamarket ,I occationally came across a Dac 90 with a perfect finish . happend about twice . With original shine and the most amazing mottling . I also remember longing after an Ekco M23 when i was about 15 It was priced £50 and was like new .It had a highly mottled cabinet .I have never seen one like that since
Old 24th Jul 2008, 9:57 am   #19
Aerodyne
Octode

My tuppence worth: T-Cut does a good job but like Brasso can leave a yellowy-white residue in awkward corners that is tricky to remove. Bake-O-Bryte is, I believe, the same or very similar to polishing paste No.5 and I've had good results with it and recommend it. I don't care to use boot polish on Bakelite as it comes off all too easily on hands and clothes, as others have already mentioned. The same applies to wax polish, too: surfaces always seem to remain slightly sticky.

Using Bake-O-Bryte leaves a hard glossy finish that doesn't need any further polish. It stays for a long time but buffs up easily.
I'm a little wary of using a buffing wheel, even with a soft mop as heat can be generated especially if you get a little carried away with the process. This can burn the surface and cause the filler to show in a mottled pattern (filler can be wood flour or possibly asbestos fibres). It may even be possible to shatter a cabinet by excessively zealous buffing.
-Tony
Old 24th Jul 2008, 1:48 pm   #20
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

with ref to wax polishing ,To avoid stickness you really need only the smallest amount, and make it go a long way . Its worked for my sets , too much will be impossible to buff away so you may get a shine but it will be a shine on a film of wax , the smallest amount is all thats needed ,clear traditional beaswax polish is best .you can get this in a spray can as well these days .
Closed Thread