UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2019, 11:55 pm   #1
davegsm82
Heptode

Default 'Toko' style IF & tuning coils

I have an old Flip-clock alarm radio which had a defective FM section, but AM worked fine. I eventually traced the fault to the final 'Toko' style coil in the FM section of the radio, one of it's windings had somehow gone open circuit, looked to me like the copper wire had corroded.

After performing micro-surgery on it with some hugely oversized Kynar wire I managed to get FM reception back again, but I would like to replace the coil with one which hasn't been repaired as I don't know how long it will last.

The coil has 6 pins, standard metal can over the outside with powdered ferrite core in the middle, the core itself is painted Pink, the can has the following printed on it;
"004
F D"

Am I likely to be able to find one of these anywhere?

Dave.
Old 10th Mar 2019, 12:35 am   #2
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: 'Toko' style IF & tuning coils

The core colours are not always standard and even the windings may have different inductances. But maybe the one below might be a close match ?

https://symkrilag.uk/shop/10x10mm-sh...2-piece-offer/
Old 10th Mar 2019, 12:51 am   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Spectrum communications sell their own commissioned line of Toko replacements here: http://www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/Components.htm

One of them may be suitable.
Old 10th Mar 2019, 12:57 am   #4
davegsm82
Heptode

Thanks for that Jolly_7, I've just done a quick search and it shows these exact coils are available on ebay as well as that store.

From what I can gather from the pinout on the ebay auction it looks like it's the same as the one I have here, down to the capacitor being only connected at one end.

For £4 it's probably worth a punt, the clock radio was destined for eBay itself but I quite like it. Flip-Clock's seem to be the in-thing at the moment.

Regards, Dave.
Old 10th Mar 2019, 10:35 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

If your soldering is OK, why shouldn't your repaired coil last indefinitely?

A little polystyrene dissolved in thinners will anchor the turns and keep things stable.

David
Old 10th Mar 2019, 9:58 pm   #6
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Flip clocks are expensive. So are the similar looking "drum" types.
I considered once collecting a representative example of each type of clock technology ever used in radios. Goblins are expensive to ship. There are a few other valve ones. I have none. I did manage to get a Goblin Teasmaid with the transistor radio and synchronous mains clock. Can't see the point of it if you take milk.
I've given up. I do have a flip, drum, pure mechanical windup, electrically powered mechanical balance wheel, a Radio set LED (rarely works here, too far and rubbish receiver), LED, VFD and LCD.

Yes, the flip clocks with synchronous motors are amazing, keep it. The mechanism in my drum or flip model had seized and the cog on the motor had disintegrated. I found one same number of teeth and diameter in a €1.50 Quartz clock and drilled it out slightly smaller and forced it on. Works.

I bought a few of the clocks, some in charity shops for 50c:
1.5V AA battery holders
"grain of wheat" 1.5V bulbs
500 Ohm to 800Ohm solenoids for the actuator. Can be used as source of fine wire, coils for miniature reed switches, actuators for moving iron earphone / speaker, little generator to light LED by spinning the magnet that that's actuated. (Kid's demo).
Spare cogs
32,768 crystal
Piezo beeper
A 1Hz pulse generator IC.
Closed Thread