UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:12 pm   #1
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Panel mount 2 pin male DIN plugs

Got a bit of a weird one here. I nabbed what appears ot be an early 1970s homebrew transverter last year at a hamfest for £1. Looks like it might be 6m. I will work out what it is later precisely. I was initially interested in eviscerating it for parts but it seems a shame to tear it up as it's quite well made.

However the power plug has a broken off pin. It appears to be a 2 pin DIN panel mounted plug which I have never seen before. I've only seen panel mounted sockets before. So in its default state, it would have two pins sticking out of it. Makes sense really as it's safer than having several amps of 12V on the lead end with two pins sticking out!

Does anyone know if these existed or if it was a nifty hack. Also does anyone know here I can get one? I can find inline sockets, but not panel mounted plugs.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:26 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: panel mount 2 pin male DIN plugs

A 2-pin din makes me only think of a speaker plug; one flat pin and one round?

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 7th Mar 2019 at 11:34 pm.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:30 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

That's the ones. Trying to find a panel mount plug.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:37 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Don't recall ever seeing such a thing; possible to take an end of line plug and fettle it
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:38 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yeah that's what I may be doing here. This one appears to be a genuine article though. Doesn't look hacked from what I can see. I was going to replace it with an RCA jack but the hole is too big.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:51 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ok I took it to bits and there's suspicious looking glue in it. looks like this didn't exist and someone put a 2 pin speaker plug shell into a DIN panel mount housing!
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:52 pm   #7
teetoon
Heptode

Hello. Yes they certainly existed and I first encountered them on Hacker speakers for the Centurion stereo system back in the early 70's.
Here are a couple for sale. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pin-DIN...sAAOSwsDZcMlND

David.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:52 pm   #8
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I can find the other end, 2 pin DIN female line cord https://vetco.net/products/2-pin-din-female-inline-jack, but the male end seems to be no longer available.

Option - make the hole bigger, fit a blanking plate with a suitable hole for the RCA or other type of connector?
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:54 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
Hello. Yes they certainly existed and I first encountered them on Hacker speakers for the Centurion stereo system back in the early 70's.
Here are a couple for sale. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pin-DIN...sAAOSwsDZcMlND

David.
That's the one! Thanks for this

I think the one I have here was hacked up though as it's sticking out of the panel flush with the surface.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:56 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

They are not in any of my 1970's RS or Ambit catalogues, but are listed in the spring/summer 1971 KJ catalogue . Code 904 in the Audiopacks range, 15p.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIN Spkr KJ1971.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	179569  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 11:29 am   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Panel mount 2 pin male DIN plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Got a bit of a weird one here. I nabbed what appears to be an early 1970s homebrew transverter last year at a hamfest for £1. Looks like it might be 6m.
If it really is that old it's likely to be 70MHz
We didn't get the 50MHz allocation until 1986.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:23 pm   #12
MrBungle
Dekatron

Possibly is. I'm going to reverse engineer it this weekend. It's showing short across rails at moment so I need to get to the bottom of that first. Once it's up I'll get a counter on it and see what it does. I can't read the crystal frequency as it's soldered down. Also the label which probably said what it was stuck down with tape which fell off a long time ago looking at the big square bit of residue.

It's probably scrap but someone put some time and effort into it so I figured it was worth a go at fixing it.

To note it's a downconverter not transverter. It has no transmit chain.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 10:58 pm   #13
MrBungle
Dekatron

Back to this at last. It turns out I'm a prize idiot. This isn't a 2 pin DIN. It's a 2-pin Jones plug! I will chuck an opposite gender one in the next Mouser order I do. They still sell new ones for £3 a go.

As suggested by rambo1152, this looks like it was built for 4m. There is a "Jan 73" written in pencil on the side. It looks like the previous owner tried unsuccessfully to convert it to 6m and gave up based on the fact the crystal is, after hooking it out, a 16MHz one and date coded 1984 ((2x16)-18=50) whereas the rest is much older (1969 date code on the MOSFETs!). The short was some bad soldering in the end. The LO works but the multiplier doesn't because the tank coil is at the wrong frequency and the front end dual MOSFET, a 40673 is kaputt. There was no protection so it probably died of static. I may repair it yet and get it on 6m. It just needs a different capacitor and a new MOSFET.
Closed Thread