UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2019, 3:01 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default Replacement EL33

Hello,

Can i get away with replacing an EL33 with a 6p25 valve. I can see there are some differences but they look fairly close to each other.

Derek
Old 7th Mar 2019, 3:18 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacement EL33

Yes....

I'd be inclined to up the cathode resistor a bit to wind back the anode current to 35mA or so and check that the mains TX isn't bothered by another 0.2A heater current.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Mar 2019, 3:32 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Agreed.

You can usually swap these different pin compatible output valves without problems. You just need to keep an eye on the anode current, adjusting the cathode resistor appropriately, and make sure the heater isn't drawing too much current from the mains transformer.

American valves like the 6V6 generally have a lower slope than European types, but they will typically work well enough in a standard superhet. The 6P25 is European of course, despite the American sounding name.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 3:36 pm   #4
coopzone
Hexode

Thanks, that's about what i thought and yes already got a new cathode resistor ready. just thought i would ask. Better safe than sorry!
Old 7th Mar 2019, 5:15 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the past I've replaced an EL33 with a N78, building an adapter using the base off the dead EL33 and a B7G valvebase supported on stiff wires soldered into the pins of the old EL33 base then filled around the wires with car body-filler.

Done with care - adding some dye to the filler so it's black to match the old EL33 base - it can look rather neat.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:19 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I built an adapter using stiff wire and a slice of an old ski pole that I found.
It is made of some kind of composite so a small bead of epoxy was all that was needed to fit it to one of those octal plugs that can be bought in quantity from China.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 9:35 pm   #7
Silicon
Nonode

If you make a valve base adaptor you could use an EL84 or EL41.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 12:50 pm   #8
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

A 6L6 works. Note the datasheet shows it at much higher SG & Anode voltages than the EL33. It's actually similar cathode current in an EL33 circuit. Screen voltage as well as control grid sets cathode current.
Obviously you'd only do that if you had one spare.
Old 9th Mar 2019, 5:32 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Mazda 6P25, MOV KT61 and EL33 valves are all high gm valves that are very similar maybe only requiring a slight alteration to the cathode resistor.

The 6V6 and KT63 types are much lower gm and will give a noticeable reduction in output
particularly when used in circuits that do not employ a driver stage such as the EBC33 and similar valves. All very robust valves that rarely fail. John.
Closed Thread