UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2016, 11:44 pm   #1
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default BBC AC Test Set EP14/1P

Evening everyone,

I acquired this back in January 2016 from Chris in Manchester [reddish75] - thank you, Chris

I've done a bit of a restoration and overhaul on this - *lots* of helpful advice and support from forum members!

Details / acknowledgements as follows:

Mains transformer re-wound - thank you, Ed [Ed Dinning];

Auxiliary DC supply cable harness made up using Painton/McMurdo 7-way socket to 3-pin XLR chassis plug - thank you, Bill [AC/HL] and Roger [G3VKM_Roger];

Supply rails brought back into specification - several AOT resistors had to be changed and I made up an extender card to help with this using Veroboard and an ISEP 25- way plug from a discarded experimental circuit board - thank you, John [John B-S]);

Supply rail check / 'Cal Osc Set Level' metering push-button assembly dismantled, cleaned, silver-dipped to restore reliable contacts, re-assembled;

Output level calibrated against Fluke handheld DMM (60Hz, 0dBu => 0.775v r.m.s.); input metering boards re-aligned (Amp-Det & Test Programme Meter circuits);

Main meter needle binding against inside of faceplate - 'persuaded back' towards the scale plate (but oh-so-carefully );

Carrying case, lid and handle: shotblasted / lid corners repaired (welded) then all metalwork powdercoated in hammered silver;

DZUS toggle latches replaced - thank you, Goldie99 ...

The photos tell some of the story (I've used what I hope are meaningful file-names).

Best wishes
Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_external renovation_01.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	121553   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_external renovation_02.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	121554   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_external renovation_03.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	121555   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_lid interior.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	121556   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_D&ED code plate.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	121557  

Old 15th Mar 2016, 11:47 pm   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: BBC AC Test Set EP14/1P

Some more pics of the equipment in action.

Best wishes
Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_tone source output level & Z selection.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	121558   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_set level_matching meter readings.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	121559   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_1kHz, 0dBu.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	121560   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P_100Hz harmonic separation.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	121561   Click image for larger version

Name:	EP14-1P__1kHz harmonic separation.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	121562  

Old 16th Mar 2016, 1:23 am   #3
fetteler
Octode

Guy,

That is a lovely job - well done!

I have one of these testers that I have brought back to everyday working condition but it is nowhere near the beautiful restoration you have achieved.

All the best,
Steve.
Old 16th Mar 2016, 10:22 am   #4
Nymrod121
Nonode

Hi Steve - thank you for your kind compliments. They're a lovely beast and phrases referring to small external buildings come to mind

I've a rack-mounted version (obtained from the "TVC Final Clearance" disposal in early 2015) that also needs attention.

On this one, I suspect a leaky capacitor in the input level measurement '0.5dB' step attenuator assembly; as found, this was presenting ~3.7v DC to Board 3, thereby forcing the meter needle to right-hand f.s.d.

As a work-around, I've fitted a 0.1uF capacitor in series with Board 3 input to block this DC component. A result of this is the measurement accuracy becomes degraded at low frequencies so I'm planning on removing the input step attenuator assembly and changing all the C's - a complicated & fiddly job, but there's the fun of it ...

Cheers
Guy
Old 16th Mar 2016, 10:44 am   #5
unixmanuk
Pentode

Those pics bring back memories from days long ago at Wood Norton, and latterly at TVC.

I remember everyone having one on their desk on the course whilst going through the setup procedures.... great fun!

Cheers,
Old 16th Mar 2016, 11:28 am   #6
mhennessy
Dekatron

There are still some left at Wood Norton, but not many. Perhaps only 2 or 3... Lovely though they are, they come from the 600 ohm world, and that's far too confusing for trainees today

We also have a couple of ME2/5s (and I have one at home), but in many ways, the 2/5 was a step back. But a bit easier to carry about!

I don't think I've seen one of those cases before - I bet it adds to the mass

Well done on an excellent restoration! It looks like a new one
Old 16th Mar 2016, 8:45 pm   #7
Nymrod121
Nonode

Thank you all for your feedback and kind comments

John: the other one I have was originally fitted in a "MADI test trolley" comprising a Probel coder, transcoder & decoder set, along with Musa and B-gauge jackfields and a Canford Audio monitoring amplifier ... it was part of the Peaker Pattinson 'final TVC clearance' auction disposal in Jan-Feb 2015 ... maybe you can recall seeing it at TVC?

Mark: the ally transit case was quite common in T & SCPD's (Transmitter and Capital Projects Departments, for the benefit of non-Beeb folks) and the mobile TMTs (Transmitter Maintenance Teams). The one I've just refurbished has an SCPD asset label (albeit mucky /scratched and for which I'm going to try and get a Trafolyte replacement some time in the future).
You're right about the weight of it. Over the last week or so I've felt a bit like the Cadbury's Smash robot with the extending spring arms
Cheers
Guy
Old 17th Mar 2016, 6:38 pm   #8
fetteler
Octode

Mine's in that very same case, it's ex Radio OBs London. We also had a couple like it in Tel OBs. Being mad from aluminium it's not as bad as you would expect for weight.

Good luck Guy with the cap replacement, I'm sure it will be fine, and, yes, well worth the trouble... sorry fun!!!

Cheers,
Steve.