UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2010, 9:51 pm   #1
Sideband
Dekatron

Default 'Sunkyong' 4.5" TV/Radio

I forgot exactly how I came by this little set. I seem to recall that in a previous life as a TV engineer, I was asked to look at this bedroom set and when I called, I was presented with this item. 'TV dead, radio OK' she said. I doubted it was worth looking at as a profitable repair but took it home anyway. I soon found out that the TV/radio switch was duff but doubted I would get a replacement and it was part of an assembly. I suspect this set started life as a JVC as I have seen something almost identical but without the radio. I managed to find a circuit but no parts. The customer called to ask progress stating that it had great sentimental value so I vowed to try and do something with it.

Close examination of the switch revealed an unused set of contacts which could be used so I linked them across and got the set working. At that point the customer vanished, never to be heard of again! The set eventually got put in the loft and forgotten. That was about 12 years ago. Yesterday I found it buried under some boxes and blew the dust off it.

I was intrigued to see if it still worked and vaguely recalled the story. Switching on produced crackles and not a lot else so I took the top off and noticed the quick 'get it going' job I had done on the switch. Some servisol on the switches and volume control produced picture and sound so I tidied up my initial repair using a Stanley knife and some short lengths of wire. The result is a superb little telly/radio. I need to give it a good clean-up but no further electrical work seems necessary. For a set of it's type, it has an AM/FM radio, A/V in and out (phono sockets), provision for a proper aerial and a headphone output. I suspect it was for battery operation as well because it has a separate mains powers supply that clips on the back.

I'll post some more pictures when I've cleaned it up. It's difficult to take screen-shots but the picture is superb.

I suppose it just scrapes in as vintage at around mid-eighties.

SB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010439.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	37974   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010451.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	37975   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010447.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	37976  
Old 14th Jul 2010, 11:25 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Sunkyong' 4.5" TV/Radio

Well I've given this little set a clean up and attended to some dry joints. Just a few pictures to show how they managed to cram everything in. It's actually not bad to work on. Notice the chroma delay line mounted 'off board'! I found the telescopic aerial is missing so maybe I'll try and source one from somewhere.

The AV inputs and outputs could make this a useful little monitor.

SB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010453.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	38085   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010456.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	38086   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010458.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	38087   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010460.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	38089   Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010461.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	38090  

Old 15th Jul 2010, 12:12 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

You may be right about the JVC connection, i have a similar set, see this thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...&highlight=jvc

If your set is like mine, it should have a cracking picture, i use mine in the workshop as a monitor for testing videos & makes a good cctv monitor, mine has the same clip on psu on the back.

Mark
Old 15th Jul 2010, 8:19 am   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Could be a scaled down version then. Mine is only single standard so if your set dosen't have the radio, then that's included instead. I'm sure I saw a JVC version of this many years ago. Looked identical, however without radio but I dont know if it was multi-standard.

SB