UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2010, 10:16 am   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default Germans get 'em too!

I recently removed these from a 60s German music centre, they are branded "ROE" but are clearly a copy of the much loved Hunts Mouldseal, even down to the curious 160V DC rating.

References have been made on this forum (possibly by me) to the brown Wima capacitors found in Grundig tape recorders as being the "German Hunts", it turns now out they have the real thing!

And yes, they were useless...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROE capacitors.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	33587  
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 11:21 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Germans get 'em too!

I've always had a suspicion of a tie-up somewhere between Hunts and Ernst Roederstein. Perhaps it was seeing one of these in the past. I have some larger (0.47/400 IIRC) ERO caps that have characteristic splitting cases (see pic) although I don't remember Hunts making Moldseals this size. However I also have a chassis with 48 of exactly the same type of cap, dating from the same year as the splitting ones, all of which look and test like new.

Roederstein don't seem to be as universally hopeless as Hunts although I have changed plenty, their electrolytics seeming to be regular offenders. I'm referring of course only to vintage examples here, as the brand is still going within Vishay. BTW does anybody know why some of their caps were branded ROE and others ERO?

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splitting ERO caps.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	33658  
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 12:58 pm   #3
JimMac53
Hexode

Default Re: Germans get 'em too!

Couple of months ago, I saw that someone was selling "Vintage Hunts Capacitors" on ebay, surely a testament that people will sell anything. I don't know if anyone bought them.