UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2007, 10:23 pm   #41
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: whats your most hated or most loved vcr

Quote:
1. Panasonic G deck. awfullly complicated mech (talk about using a sledghehammer to crack a nut!) and a b!tch to work on if out of timing. They're clunky and sluggish even when they work.
Yes well here's another one who hated these. A full set of gears and a resync and ok until a tape tangles then its brrr.crunch.click.snap.

I happen to like the Baird/Ferguson/JVC 3V23 and have a good one in my wardrobe.

Hate Thomson, Hitachi and anything from a supermarket. I always thought Philips decks were good, so long as you were prepared to swap major pieces of worn white plastic bits during a service.

The VCR in the lounge at the mo is a JVC S-VHS though Sharp used to do some nice units. I have a rock solid 80's Sanyo in the bedroom.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:02 pm   #42
Michael Maurice

The later K mech was a considerable improvement, the coupling on the load motor cracked but replacements are readily and cheaply available, the main lever would crack, again cheap and easy to replace, the P5 arm was somewhat flimsey otherwise a very nice deck to work on.
Old 8th May 2007, 2:29 am   #43
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank-bush-murphy View Post
i think they were in fact orion matsui clones i maybe wrong memory a bit wooly nowadays
in the few Lögiks (with the umlaut on the o, that should read 'luuurjik' ) I have seen, the larger (wider, slightly earlier) models were samsungs, and the thinner (slimline) ones were orion. The former were the worst, most sluggish ones.

Saisho also did a similar looking unit to the latter- even have one kicking about with linear stereo and built in teletext!
Old 8th May 2007, 7:24 am   #44
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
There seems to be a certain affection out there for the Sanyo VTC9300 but no mention of the Sony SL-8000UB on which it was based.
An SL-8080UB, bought secondhand in about 1983, was my first VCR and certainly a joy to use until it started overheating and cutting out after an hour or so of operation. A massive beast - mine is the silver rather than woodgrain version - and still hiding somewhere on the premises. The sleek new Sony machine that replaced it didn't last nearly so long before developing the habit of switching unasked into random modes, something the old 8080 would never do

Paul
Closed Thread