UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:28 am   #1
kings
Tetrode

Default GEC Compact BC4835R

I have just come across a GEC BC4835R and someone has very kindly removed the aerial wire and I am at a loss to see where it connects to I do know it connects to capacitor c1 but cannot seem to find it (perhaps specsavers might help) so any help would be appreciated.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:02 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: GEC Compact BC4835R

All three services sheets which are available for this set clearly show that C1 is located on top of the chassis next to the wave change switch.

A note states that sets in maroon cabinets have a plate aerial connected to the top cap of V1.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 6:29 am   #3
kings
Tetrode

Thanks for that I have the service sheets and located C1 but no sign of any connection point that is what I am after.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 9:05 am   #4
Station X

The service sheets mention a "self contained" aerial which can be wrapped around the base of the cabinet when not in use. This implies that it is a length of wire.

One end of C1 is connected to L1/L2 and the other end to the aerial wire. Whether the aerial wire is connected directly to C1 or terminates on a solder tag I don't know. There is no aerial socket.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 4:41 pm   #5
kings
Tetrode

Many Thanks.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 8:56 am   #6
Tim
Dekatron

I have one of these and remember it running at relatives house when I was a lad. ISTR performance was good, but as far as I can recall it never had an aerial wire coming out. Said relative did live in a flat in an urban area, so perhaps the set worked quite happily without one somewhere like that.
My memory is not infallible though. Just to make sure it’s the same set:
This is an upright set with a transparent dial visible from both sides at the top, and large control knobs at each end. I think it used those miniature 7 pin all glass valves. Mine is cream one.
It ran for some years when I had it, but alas does no longer. Part of the case is also melted and I haven’t opened it up since.

Last edited by Tim; 28th Oct 2019 at 9:10 am.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 11:01 am   #7
music-centre
Heptode

Hello Tim,
Could the one you are thinking of been the GEC BC4644?, I have one of these and they do work very well.
Steve.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/genera...bc_4644_1.html
Old 28th Oct 2019, 6:08 pm   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Steve. Yes, that’s the one. I had an idea that one was also called the “ compact”
Unfortunately mine has a broken knob and a bit of the case is melted.