UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2004, 2:24 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Log or Lin Potentiometers?

Hi

I have a Bush PB53 and I need to buy a 500K pot for the volume and a 25K for the tone control. Can somebody please tell me which one needs to be log and which one is lin
Thanks

David

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 1st Oct 2004, 2:35 pm   #2
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Log or Lin Potentiometers?

David,

You need a log pot for the volume and a lin one for the tone.

Best wishes, John B.
Old 1st Oct 2004, 6:50 pm   #3
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

Yes log pots for volume. I have fitted the wrong type in the past and Have not found the difference to be such a problem.
Old 1st Oct 2004, 7:10 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think it's to do with the ear having a logarithmic response to sound levels. If you use a linear pot for volume most of the useful range of volume is squashed into the first few degrees of rotation. Using a log pot spreads it out a bit.
Old 1st Oct 2004, 7:13 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I have a tin full of used pots and none seem to say whether they are log or lin. How can I check what they are with a multimeter?

David
Old 1st Oct 2004, 7:24 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Log pots normally have LOG printed after the value (Lin pots are sometimes marked, but not always).
Measuring with an analogue meter may be misleading, as they have a non-linear scale.
I would think that setting the wiper to the mechanical half way point & measuring to either end would give the game away.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 8:29 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 1st Oct 2004, 7:29 pm   #7
Station X

Carefully set the potentiometer to its midposition. Now measure the resistance from each end of the track to the slider. If the readings are APPROXIMATELY the same the pot is linear. If they differ widely the pot is log.

A more sophisticated method is to fix a temporary pointer and a scale calibrated in degrees to the pot. Connect the meter between the slider and one end of the track. Plot a graph of degrees of rotation against resistance.

If the graph is a single straight line the pot is linear. If the plot is two lines of differing slopes the pot is log. The two linear portions are a good approximation to a true log track.

Graham.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Closed Thread