UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2023, 4:26 pm   #1
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Default Unusual PP3 Battery failure.

This old Decca Debutante is rarely used, but when I switched it on today it seemed rather quiet.
So, I checked the batteries...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca Debutante.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	272539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1392.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	272540   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1393.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	272541  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 1st Feb 2023 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Wow! not an informative title.
Old 1st Feb 2023, 4:45 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Wow!

That's not unusual for today's PP3s.

I put some (Procell) out for the bin men on recycling day, and two exploded spontaneously overnight!
Old 1st Feb 2023, 6:53 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Unusual PP3 Battery failure.

I have also had a few do that, some just exploded sat on a shelf!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 1st Feb 2023, 7:31 pm   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

This has happened to me, too.

Several years ago I bought a couple of cartons of Maplin PP3 Alkaline batteries very cheaply as they were out of date, but they still worked. Several of them have since burst open in exactly the same way. Luckily no equipment was damaged.
Old 1st Feb 2023, 7:41 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I had a Maplin PP3 of that era blow a hole in the base. It wasn't installed in anything fortunately
Old 1st Feb 2023, 7:51 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Is a PP3 the original battery type, or was it a PP4?

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st Feb 2023, 7:59 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

It's quite worrying to see this happen and could easily cause injury including eye damage. I suppose an internal short circuit is occuring leading to rupture of the case.
It makes you wonder if these batteries have undergone thorough safety testing, I very much doubt it.

I assume this type of failure on PP3s is confined to alkalines as opposed to zinc chloride types.

What makes of PP3 have failed in this manner?

Regards,
Symon
Old 1st Feb 2023, 8:07 pm   #8
agardiner
Octode

I have also had this, also with a Maplin branded battery. Very interesting. Never seen it with any other make, and I have seen a lot of PP3's!

Very slightly off topic; Some years ago I tested far too many batteries (AA cells) for a consumer programme, in order check cheap batteries against the big brands. Maplin cells didn't even make it past the first round, as they were very inconsistent. I remember that in a couple of packs of their AA batteries, one of the cells was completely flat!
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 12:09 am   #9
locknut
Pentode

I've had quite a few dead Procell/Duracell PP3s disembowel themselves, usually out of the bottom end.

Stick to Varta now, they don't seem to be any problem.
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 7:26 am   #10
ted_ntsx
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Is a PP3 the original battery type, or was it a PP4?

Cheers

Aub
It was originally a larger battery. Might well have been a PP4.
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 10:55 am   #11
Aub
Nonode

Ok thanks. I asked because that radio resembles a Decca my parents had about 1960/61. The tuning dial and the speaker grill looked the same as on yours, but it was bigger, with a strap handle across the top. It used a PP4 or maybe two of them. Anyway a bit off topic, I know, but bought back memories.

Cheers

Aub
Old 4th Feb 2023, 2:29 am   #12
Techman
Dekatron

It's certainly not unusual!

I've had it happen on a number of occasions, the last time being a year or two back when I heard a bang, or perhaps I should say a rather a loud crack in living room of the house. I looked all round, even looked outside, but couldn't see or find anything. It was only later that day that I went to use the DMM that I'd left on the living room table earlier that day and found that it wouldn't work...yes, you've guessed it, the PP3 had exploded inside the meter, so that solved the mystery of what the 'crack' noise was that I'd heard earlier on that day.

While at work a few years ago I removed a PP3 from a piece of kit and as I watched it I could see it starting to go, so I quickly stood it on a table and moved out of its way moments before it blew its innards out, some of which went with such force that they imbedded themselves in one of the tiles of the suspended ceiling above where it was. It was so shocking that I thought it worthy of a photo of the ceiling at the time, which I've just found again and is shown below.

These batteries are dangerous and could certainly take your eye out if you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's always been those Procell branded types, some going off in the box in the cupboard while still well in date - never had an issue with the Poundland Kodak brand - yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060236.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	272639  
Old 4th Feb 2023, 11:10 am   #13
locknut
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
These batteries are dangerous and could certainly take your eye out if you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's always been those Procell branded types, some going off in the box in the cupboard while still well in date - never had an issue with the Poundland Kodak brand - yet!
Agree, and these Procell/Duracell are, without doubt, the worst alkalines out there for leaking when expired.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 4:59 pm   #14
Katar83
Pentode

I've been using lloytron pp3 rechargeable batteries for at least 10 years in everything that needs one and never had an issue with them, they still work to this day and I don't think I even had to replace one, that said, if space is not an issue, I'd probably use a different battery now, with higher capacity.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 5:28 pm   #15
Tractionist
Heptode

Puts a new spin on the old HK 'Flying Bombs' eh?
Old 4th Feb 2023, 6:27 pm   #16
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katar83 View Post
I've been using lloytron pp3 rechargeable batteries for at least 10 years in everything that needs one and never had an issue with them, they still work to this day and I don't think I even had to replace one, that said, if space is not an issue, I'd probably use a different battery now, with higher capacity.
Let's be clear, it's NOT rechargeable batteries that we're talking about here, it's "Alkaline" non-rechargeable types only!

I've got "rechargeable" PP3 batteries that could well be getting on for 30 years old now and never had a problem with any of them other than some are starting to struggle taking a charge and those that are still functioning don't hold a charge for anywhere near as long as they once did, but no explosions or leakage with any of them as yet.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 6:55 pm   #17
DrStrangelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknut View Post

Agree, and these Procell/Duracell are, without doubt, the worst alkalines out there for leaking when expired.
And it's even better when a brand new box of 10 of the blasted things are all halfway to flat with years left on the expiry date.
Old 4th Feb 2023, 7:44 pm   #18
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionist View Post
Puts a new spin on the old HK 'Flying Bombs' eh?
Hilarious

Seriously though, the manufacturer ought to know about these dangerous failures. I dread to think what might happen if I happened to carrying one of those PP3s in my trouser pocket!

Regards,
Symon
Old 5th Feb 2023, 1:20 am   #19
locknut
Pentode

I had one let go with a bang loud enough to make me jump, but never had bits stuck in the ceiling yet!
Old 5th Feb 2023, 10:43 am   #20
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
these Procell/Duracell are, without doubt, the worst alkalines out there for leaking when expired.
I have had Duracell batteries leak well before the use by date, I have just replaced one in a clock that had leaked badly from the negative end, the expiry date was April 2027.

I have had Daewoo PP3 batteries last well in excess of the expiry date with no signs of leakage, but have had a Duracell PP3 leak white fungus from the top in my Fluke DMM, the expiry date was still over two years away....

Mark
Closed Thread