UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2023, 5:55 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Talking Warning – Check World Radio History and get the collections you're interested in ASAP

Can I advise anyone whose interested in Mr. Gleason's superb World Radio History site to get any collections your specially interested in downloaded asap, as all sorts of people are suddenly crawling out of the woodwork and getting titles removed without warning!

The two latest casualties are "Hi Fi News" and Stereophile ".

I have my own opinions of these publisher's and our copyright legislation, which I have no intention of discussing, this is just a friendly tip not to always rely on them being there!

I recommend you use an extension like "Down Them All" or "Simple Mass Downloader" to get the pdfs down in one go completely automatically, that way you don't miss issues out, and don't forget to check the side of page links!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 13th Jan 2023 at 6:15 pm.
Old 13th Jan 2023, 7:19 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Warning – Check World Radio History and get the collections you're interested in

I had never heard of "Down them all" Excellent, just downloaded Wireless World.

Peter
Old 13th Jan 2023, 8:24 pm   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Warning – Check World Radio History and get the collections you're interested in

I wonder how big it was please?
Old 13th Jan 2023, 9:42 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

I have already done this some years ago. There are many publications that I don't have, that's mostly because they didn't come under my interests.

To Jon, I downloaded about 16 gigs in one mass download. All are perfect with no corruptions.

Joe
Old 13th Jan 2023, 9:48 pm   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

That's quite big. I will think on it before proceeding. Cheers Joe.
Old 14th Jan 2023, 6:51 pm   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
I wonder how big it was please?
Wireless World was 14.2Gb

Peter
Old 15th Jan 2023, 8:07 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Just in case.....I've downloaded Radio Constructor. Just over 2Gb so not too bad. Might do Practical Wireless next.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 9:00 pm   #8
paulsherwin

It's completely normal for sites to take down stuff when they're notified of a copyright infringement. It doesn't mean that everything is going to disappear.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:21 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Mass downloading of files from the site may give David problems with his internet providers or push up his hosting bills, be a shame if it caused him problems after all the good work he has done.
Just my thoughts.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:58 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

OK I'm not downloading any more at the moment in that case.
Old 20th Jan 2023, 6:59 pm   #11
Chris55000
Nonode

I do download a lot manually on my phone (one at a time!) as well to avoid too many large chunks of traffic going through David's Servers!

It tends to be UK and Continental Publications and books I download automatically as I think they're the ones most at risk of sudden disappearance !

Chris Williams
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 12:33 pm   #12
wireman
Heptode

I think this site might be new to me, some gems there and a huge range of topics.

For example what looks like a hand-written Bernards "Manual of Metals and Alloys" which covers some pretty unusual content. I learned a new word - triange.

The internet archive is capturing the site but is very slow so I don't know if it traverses down to the PDFs.
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 9:12 pm   #13
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Electronics Australia or EA was Australia's longest-running general electronics magazine. It traces its history to 1922 The last issue with Electronics Australia as the main title was published March 2000. There were 432 issues in all up until December 2000. As far as I can recall, they'd all been scanned.

However, they've all been removed by Order of Claimed Copyright Holder, Silicon Chip.

Here's a clip of the eMail from the Rights Holder:

My name is Nicholas Vinen and I am the Director of Silicon Chip Publications Pty Ltd. Your website is infringing on the copyright owned by my company. We own all the copyright to all Radio, TV & Hobbies and Electronics Australia magazines. Multiple articles were copied from these magazines onto your servers without permission. The original articles are sold through our website at the following links:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/3...au/Shop/3/3145

This letter is official notification under Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (”DMCA”), and I seek the removal of the aforementioned infringing material from your servers. Please remove the infringing material immediately, and cease any further posting of infringing material to your server in the future.

End quote.

See:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Electr...stralia_AU.htm

So, unlike World Radio History, which provides a splendid archive of magazines from the world over, and doesn't seek money from anyone, Silicon Chip - which didn't exist when many of the magazines were in circulation - is 'monetizing' magazines which are almost 100 years old.

In so doing, I think that far from finding that this is a revenue stream for them, it will put a dent in their goodwill. Not a good look.
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 9:49 pm   #14
wireman
Heptode

Wouldn't the oldest material be out of copyright protection?
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 10:13 pm   #15
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
Wouldn't the oldest material be out of copyright protection?

Exactly my thought!

Mike
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 10:36 pm   #16
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Elektor (The UK version) has been removed.
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 3:23 pm   #17
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi how do you download a collection apart from one at a time thanks Mick
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 4:11 pm   #18
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I wondered the same, have not had time to check out "Down them all".

David
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 5:20 pm   #19
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi down them all works a charm thanks Mick
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 5:49 pm   #20
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I think it is a bit cheeky downloading massive amounts of stuff from World Radio History because some magazines might disappear.

A surprising example is Elektor - no idea why it was on the site. They are crystal clear on their website that they are the copyright owners, and you have to cough up Euro90 or so for the privilege of downloading up to 8 magazines to print.

Craig