UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2021, 12:31 am   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Marconi TV sound mixer BD940

An awful lot of years ago I was lucky enough to be able to salvage some parts from this fabulous beast which was left 'abandoned' in a studio when the previous owners moved out.
The type number if I'm not mistaken was BD 940.
I rescued a number of the valved channel modules and a stack of those rather lovely quadrant faders.
Sadly I no longer have either, but I still have some of the high quality Marconi-made audio transformers which adorned every input and output.
The picture was salvaged from the large handbook which was with the mixer. This contained a block diagram but no component level drawings of the modules and PSUs.
I have a reverse engineered circuit of a channel module, but no original specification as to their performance in terms of gain/noise/distortion etc.

I'd love to find out more about the 'mic/prog' amplifier', 'isolation amplifier' and the regulated PSU modules.
I can't begin to imagine how many KW this must have consumed ! Doubtless it made many a sound operator breaking a sweat !

Any Marconi experts out there ?

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MARCONI MIXER ALT.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	225329  
Old 25th Jan 2021, 3:40 pm   #2
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi TV sound mixer BD940

Hi there is a post about that mixer on another blog here:-

http://vintageaudioworkshop.blogspot...xer-1940s.html

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 9:47 pm   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Thanks for the link Brian
Unfortunately, I'm already aware of that information as I wrote it ! ( the model no. is regrettably incorrect ! I think it may be 965 )
It has been shall we say, 'misappropriated' by the website owner to imply they wrote it.
Looking back in previous threads, the modules are of identical construction to the one in this
thread:

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154112

Still hoping to find some more detailed information.

Andy
Old 21st Jun 2021, 3:06 pm   #4
yestertech
Nonode

Bump !
Closed Thread