UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2013, 2:11 am   #1
greasylox
Retired Dormant Member

Default DVB Modulator?

Got to ask, is there such a thing as a DVB Modulator, that would allow one to produce your own multiplex from multiple different sources?

Dave
Old 16th Mar 2013, 8:24 am   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: DVB Modulator?

The answer is yes but they are not cheap, see this-
http://www.promaxelectronics.com/ing...6&IDfamilia=20
and here circa £750
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Promax-EN-10.../dp/B009T1XKY4
I suspect we will be waiting a long time for these to count as vintage.
Chris
Old 16th Mar 2013, 1:56 pm   #3
flyingtech55
Octode

Taylors in Oldham do them too but again, not cheap.

TimR
Old 16th Mar 2013, 3:28 pm   #4

For that price I would want a multi input one (many stations on one multiplex), perhaps Daryl of Arora fame could do one.

Old 16th Mar 2013, 4:17 pm   #5
pichacker
Hexode

Hi chaps. Before any of you part with money for the current DVD modulators I bought a pro max one about a year ago. Single channel and wanted it to plumb sky box through. The picture quality is none too good and sound thin. I would describe the picture as very soft, similar to less expensive satellite channels! Pro max not willing to assist. So best to get a demonstration before parting with any cash.

However the en10 is very easy to set up.
Old 16th Mar 2013, 4:17 pm   #6
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Fabrice Bellard implemented a modulator without any hardware here;

http://bellard.org/dvbt/

He just used a Linux PC and a specially prepared graphics file and modeline to display a couple of static images. His dvbt box uses VHF rather than UHF, but a lot of integrated TV's and some dvbt set top boxes cover VHF. I don't know whether anyone has sucessfully reproduced this.
Old 16th Mar 2013, 6:41 pm   #7

You tend to forget that the modern PC is a bloomin' fast, cheap digital thingy, well done to 'bellard'.

I like the radio stuff linked on that site, one laptop with a dead screen (free) a bit of software (free ish) and there you have a pantry transmitter, the 5V or so from the VGA port is as much as most pantry jobs start with. Now with a stereo input you could do two radio stations, or all of a DAB multiplex with a USB DAB dongle.

Old 18th Mar 2013, 1:10 am   #8
greasylox
Retired Dormant Member

Hmmm, looks like the short answer is no then, bother, would really like a multi channel one, will have to wait for something to surface on the commercial market then.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 1:20 am   #9
winston_1
Heptode

This is the one I use. Creates a MUX with 4 channels that can be set anywhere between 51 MHz and 858MHz.

http://www.superantena.es/moduladore...-entradas.html

Mine has been running 24/7 for 16 months with no problem. Order direct from Spain. Teldis is the UK agent but at almost twice the price.

http://teldis.co.uk/Compact-Case-Dig...ofdm-modulator
Old 20th Mar 2013, 8:13 am   #10
pichacker
Hexode

How can they justify the prices? In terms of components it can't total more than a few yen. Like all things electronic hopefully the price will fall in a few years.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 12:04 pm   #11
winston_1
Heptode

It's not a mass market item, so I doubt if they will fall as quickly as you expect.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 1:34 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
How can they justify the prices?
For licensing the proprietary information needed to build it, and which can't be discerned by examining a receiver.

And also (after what happened in the mid-late 1960s), to discourage Fred in the Shed from trying to open his own radio station.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 3:03 pm   #13
pichacker
Hexode

Here's hoping that the far east find a need to produce a clone. I'm guessing it won't be long before manufacturers ditch the analog rx capabilities of new units. There will still be the need to relay CCTV etc at UHF.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 3:49 pm   #14

I would put the cost of developing the firmware for it was a few (expensive) man years. No wonder such a small sales thing is that costly. I guess pichacker is right, let's hope so.

Old 20th Mar 2013, 3:57 pm   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
I'm guessing it won't be long before manufacturers ditch the analog rx capabilities of new units.
There are still so many analogue UHF modulators out there in things like Sky boxes (where they are often used to feed multiple sets; Sky themselves actively encourage this, and the receivers even respond to remote control signals coming down the RF cable) that there will be a demand for TV with UHF analogue tuners for some time yet.

That being said, my Panasonic DCD recorder has only a digital TV tuner and no RF modulator (but this is about normal for DVD equipment) -- output is via SCART or HDMI only.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 5:00 pm   #16
winston_1
Heptode

Here is another one, single channel input.

http://www.superantena.es/moduladore...catel-dim.html
Old 20th Mar 2013, 5:44 pm   #17

See, in a mater of days the price has more than halved. Seriously though, now they have a market the price will drop a lot. OK most tellys have an analogue input but it means changing the mode, lazy people will drive the price down.

Closed Thread