UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2021, 12:48 am   #1
wave solder
Hexode

Unhappy EPROM conundrum.

I have a strange problem in that I have been trying to copy two Eproms, the ICs being read are Mitsubishi M5M27C100K.

The ICs I am writing to are AMD27C010 which purportedly are drop in replacements.

They are all 200nS parts

The 27C010 programs and verifies correctly, however it does not function in circuit.

I also verified the IC in a different Eprom programmer that I have and it verifies correctly in that too.

Now I wonder what I am missing?
Old 8th Dec 2021, 1:13 am   #2
Trigon.
Hexode

Default Re: Eprom conundrum

Comparing the two datasheets, the functions of pins 2 and 24 appeared to be swapped :-

M5M27C100: 2=OE, 24=A16
MITSS14695-1.pdf

AM27C010: 2=A16, 24=OE
RE_DSHEET_AM27C010-CIM (A)_REI.pdf

Cheers
Old 8th Dec 2021, 1:21 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Eprom conundrum

Have a look at this thread, especially the fourth post which highlights that two pins are swapped in the pinouts.

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/magic-swo...st1198832.html

When you read the 1000 chips, you are reading them as that type so the reader adopts the correct pinout and reads them correctly.

When you programme the 010s, you are programming them as that type so the programmer adopts the correct pinout for the 010 and programs and verifies correctly.

It only falls over when you then put an 010 into a socket wired for a 1000, because then two of the pins on the 010 are in the wrong place.

You could make an adaptor from a couple of stacked IC sockets - re-route the offending pins on the 010 so they go to the right pins on the 1000 sockets.

Edit: Cross posted with Trigon.
Old 8th Dec 2021, 5:58 pm   #4
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: EPROM conundrum.

Hi,
I think this sounds correct. I think I can remember an addendum on a service manual from the early 1990's that mentioned something about this ?
Old 8th Dec 2021, 9:26 pm   #5
RogerEvans
Hexode

Another simple way to patch the offending pins is to bend them outward so that they don't engage with the socket and solder some jumper wires directly to the pins.

Regards,

Roger
Old 8th Dec 2021, 9:36 pm   #6
Mark1960
Octode

For an eprom you may need to remove it and use it in a programmer again in future. You could stack two sockets into the socket on the pcb, with the two pins removed from the lower of these two sockets, then fit jumper wires from the top socket to plug into the socket on the pcb. If you pick the right diameter solid core wire for the links then you don’t need to solder to the socket on the pcb.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 11:27 am   #7
wave solder
Hexode

Thank you for all of the replies, it had been a long day.

Now with the deft use of a soldering iron and some fine wire everything is all working. Thanks so much.
Closed Thread