UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2022, 7:42 am   #1
tinkera123
Triode

Default Marconi R1155 Alignment

Hi all,

My R1155 is now functioning okay, but I intend to do an alignment of IF's, Osc, RF etc.. I can identify most 're-alignment' points ... except for the "IF primary slug" versus "IF secondary slug". I have not had to pull one of the IF cans apart as yet, hence I cannot identify which is which. Nothing in the Manuals I have give any guidance.

Within each IF can, there is a lower and an upper tuning slug. Can anyone advise as to which is the Primary and which is the Secondary??

Thanks,
Ian
Old 28th Jan 2022, 11:17 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi R1155 Alignment

I think the upper is possibly primary, do you really need to align the set though? Normally if not been got at , they are fine and saves the problem of stuck/broken cores.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 11:23 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

The lower slug will be the primary and the upper slug will be the secondary which makes sense if you think about where the grid lead comes out.

Lawrence.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 3:16 am   #4
tinkera123
Triode

Hi all,

Lawrence ... yes, I understand your reasoning here. If designing the IF Can from scratch, that is what I think an Engineer should do ... but I'm not an Engineer. I looked for logic of the connections of the anodes feeding the LC circuit to the Tag strip underneath in relation to the Top Cap connection, but found none (sample size only 2 .... .. ).

Hamish ... I still might not align the IF ... I have struggled with broken Slugs in other radios ... not fun. I am sure that the Slugs in L21 are cracked (those in L19 and L20 and in rest of radio are okay). Hopefully, they were not moved when broken .... So, I will dig around in my junk stuff to see if I have any replacement Slugs. Also, I will have a look at the frequency(ies) and shape(s) of the IF strip.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 30th Jan 2022, 10:53 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkera123 View Post
Lawrence ... yes, I understand your reasoning here. If designing the IF Can from scratch, that is what I think an Engineer should do ... but I'm not an Engineer. I looked for logic of the connections of the anodes feeding the LC circuit to the Tag strip underneath in relation to the Top Cap connection, but found none (sample size only 2 .... .. ).
Mag. page 3:

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Rad...in-1947-07.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 12:23 pm   #6
tinkera123
Triode

Lawrence ... you are a Legend. Many thanks.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 12:26 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

No problem.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Feb 2022, 8:29 am   #8
tinkera123
Triode

Hi all,
Re: Alignment of my R1155

Unfortunately, the tuning slugs in the 3rd IF Can (L21) cannot be moved. I had a look at the resonance profile of this Can and it is a good shape and quite sharp (peaky) a few kHz above the IF frequency of 560kHz.

As the tuning slugs in the other IF Cans can be moved, I decided to align the IF Strip to the L21 frequency. I also re-aligned the Oscillator, both RF circuits and BFO accordingly.

The radio is now quite responsive on the HF Bands and Broadcast Band. Many stations are audible on HF Bands after dark; most are from our northern neighbours and unintelligible to me. The lower frequency Bands aren't of interest.

I have a bit of tidying up to do, plus a list of improvements for the future, but for now, it will be my daily 'listener' on the Broadcast Band. I have other more sensitive Comms Receivers for HF stuff.

I had a problem understanding the interplay between Grid Bias and AVC circuits ... until I 'twigged' to the the AVC Delay. The Tuning Dial is fantastic, so easy to use.

Another one lives ....

Cheers, Ian
Closed Thread