UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2022, 12:04 pm   #21
Henmond
Triode

Default Re: Help with wiring a GEC GEC75 telephone

Maybe I have been particularly unlucky, but both of mine cause an annoying ~50 hz hum in the reciever. Both are made by A. P. Besson, and both different ages.
Old 31st Jan 2022, 3:18 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nearby SMPS or Low Energy bulb etc??

ISTR a BT memo about some being prone to RFI, the cure being to try one of the other makes which were around at the time (blue or black?).
Old 31st Jan 2022, 3:33 pm   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The big advantage of the red variant is its flexibility as far as fitting into different handsets is concerned.

I wonder whether wrapping the inset in metal foil might help to block RFI. Unfortunately, earthing the foil isn't very feasible.
Old 31st Jan 2022, 8:10 pm   #24
Henmond
Triode

I don't think it is RFI, I've tried it with as many electrical devices switched off as possible, yet it still occurs, so unless it comes from the ATA itself I'm not sure where.

I remember reading somewhere that moisture ingress over time causes a failure that results in this humming.
Closed Thread