UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 1st Nov 2019, 6:19 pm   #2341
AndyGilham
Pentode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Just received a new DC Avominor. This is an early straight edge version in perfect working condition and complete with case and leads. There is also a repairs receipt from 1991.
The serial number is 8190-14 (January 1934)

Andy
AndyGilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2019, 7:16 pm   #2342
pmmunro
Octode

Two more Protimeter serial numbers for the collection: 285-657 and 443-285.

There are significant differences between these two instruments so there are more variants to be considered.

There are two switch settings: on the 1957 meter, these are marked "Check" and "Test", while on the 1958 version the markings are "Reset" and "Test".

There is also a strange difference between the "Brick" scales. On the earlier meter, there is a short green sector, up to the 18% mark on the "Timber" scale and the legend "Dry" up to the "20" mark. On the later meter, the green segment is badly faded but is marked "Damp" so it would seem that by 1958 there was no dry brick.

Scans of the instruction cards which each meter had in the lid of their cases are attached. Note that the cards state that spare prods are available from "the makers". To the user this would have meant Protim but the "Avominor" legend moulded into the front panel may have been a bit confusing, assuming the user knew of the existance of AVO/ACWEECO.

I had always assumed that these meters were custom made by AVO for Protim. The serial numbers certainly suggest that hundreds of them were made and, without removing the internal back panel, they look professionally produced. My inclination is to think that they were made by AVO.

The use of the Universal Avominor case some time after the Multiminor was in production also suggests that the Protometer design was drawn up some time in the early 1950s.

Companies were probably less hasty to scrap tooling as soon as its main product ended manufacture than now, and it would seem the Universal Avominor tooling still existed in the later 1950s.

It seems that Protim still exist, though now amalgamated with Koppers - https://www.kopperspc.eu/products/protim.html and trading as Protim Solignum Ltd, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Bucks, SL7 1LS.

You can still buy a Protometer, althought he form has changed a bit. However, the AVO cased version does appear in the literature; https://www.protimeter.com/assets/do...052419-web.pdf.

Clearly Gerald Gobert, needs some more research.

PMM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Instruction Card from 285-657.pdf (482.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf Instruction Card from 443-258.pdf (518.2 KB, 108 views)
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 12:23 pm   #2343
Superscope
Octode

PMM, Mike,

Thanks for the new Information.
It's all starting to build up a picture of this elusive Meter.

Great that we now know of Five surviving examples. Well, probably only Four and a half in reality!

I certainly found Protimeters still available when I was researching them, but I never spotted that Gem of historical information in their Catalogue!

I wonder if the Company still have an original Protimeter themselves.
They must have got their Photo from somewhere?

Ian
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2019, 2:53 pm   #2344
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I watched channel 4 last night at 8 O'clock , all about the British Nuclear bomb program and notice two AVO meters, when a picture of the bomb site in Christmas Island was shown.Looked to MK 8 and new, I hope they escaped and are still happily working.Ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2019, 3:03 pm   #2345
Sinewave
Octode

MK8?
Old 4th Nov 2019, 10:46 pm   #2346
AndyGilham
Pentode

Regarding the on going protimeter instruments discussions. It is a interesting instrument so I have had a nose in the archives, and I can tell you there was another version manufactured by Avo, the Multiminor Protimeter Mk2A...... Anyone seen one of them??

Andy
Old 4th Nov 2019, 10:57 pm   #2347
pmmunro
Octode

Andy,

Did your archive research reveal any information on the Mk 1 Protometer, especially circuit information?

I don't think I've seen a Mk 2 (Multiminor based) Protimeter, but I do have two other variants on the Multiminor theme: the International Rectifier/AVO Zener Diode Selector and what seems to be a temperature indicator labelled "Aeration Systems (NCH) Ltd.

The Zener Diode selectors have serial numbers 161-763 and 233-763. I'll start another thread on Multiminor based special instruments when I get some time.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2019, 7:58 am   #2348
AndyGilham
Pentode

PMM,
I have had a look, but do not seem to have a schematic anywhere.

I have looked into the protimeter a little more this morning. It seems the Multiminor Protim came in 3 different variants.
1. The Protimeter Mark 2A
2. The Protimeter Mark 3
3. The Protimeter Grain Master

See the attached drawing from May 1959. Interestingly the 2 selectable options for the range are RESET and USE. For the Universal Avometer Protimeter, i see the same range names, not the 'TEST' or 'CHECK', but the word 'USE'
I do believe there were a number of variants of those

1. Universal Protimeter with 'CHECK' (Left Side) and 'TEST' (Right Side) - Early 1956
2. Universal Protimeter with 'TEST or USE' and 'RESET' - January 1958
2. Universal Protimeter with 'RESET' and 'TEST or USE' - January 1958
3. Multiminor Protimimeter Mk 3 - February 1958
4. Universal Protimeter with 'TEST' and 'RESET' - March 1958
5. Multiminor Protimimeter Grain Master - July 1959
6. Multiminor Protimimeter Mk 2A with 'RESET' and 'USE' - May 1959

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Multiminor Protim.pdf (661.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 11th Nov 2019, 9:40 pm   #2349
AndyGilham
Pentode

All gone very quiet here...... ��

Andy
Old 11th Nov 2019, 9:55 pm   #2350
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

We’re all reeling from the shock of seeing that huge range of previously unknown Protimeters that we’re suddenly going to have to start collecting...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2019, 10:55 pm   #2351
Superscope
Octode

I'll second Phil's comment!

Ian
Old 12th Nov 2019, 11:39 pm   #2352

Yes, a very good discover that model!!
Old 14th Nov 2019, 9:21 am   #2353
Sinewave
Octode

I went to Hendon museum yesterday. I've been a few times but didn't notice before that in a display cabinet there's an Avometer!

It's a Multiminor, serial No. E 7638 194.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HendonAvo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	193688   Click image for larger version

Name:	HendonAvo2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	193689  
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:48 pm   #2354
micheal
Pentode

Another obscure Avo Mulitminor variant, the International Rectifier/Avo Zener diode meter
serial number 179-763.
Not really sure what this meter is all about. just zener didoes and the ability to measure the current through the zeners.

Mike.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2019, 1:58 pm   #2355
AndyGilham
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I went to Hendon museum yesterday. I've been a few times but didn't notice before that in a display cabinet there's an Avometer!

That is the Universal Avominor, not the Multiminor.

The serial numbering for the Model E variant included a sequantial code, a hyphen and followed by the year in full. So -194 does not seem right, i would expect another digit. I have added that to my growing list of these model E variants and have 16 in total. If i order them by serial (sequentail) number, it wouldimply this instrument is from 1943. (E 7638-1943)

Andy
Old 14th Nov 2019, 2:35 pm   #2356
Superscope
Octode

Mike,

Would you happen to have any photo's of this International Rectifier/Zener Diode Meter?

Is International Rectifier the Name of a Company who may have Sold the Device I wonder? Like Protimeter.
I remember from Years back a Work Colleague who's Girlfriend worked for a Company called "International Rectifier".
Needless to say, he got the Mickey taken big time that his Girlfriend worked for International Rescue (FAB!)
Well, it was funny at the time!

Regarding the Model E, I was going to ask how that would be Dated.
Might just be that the 3 didn't print out correctly.
Not something anybody would have particularly worried about at the time I guess.

Ian
Old 14th Nov 2019, 2:55 pm   #2357
Refugee
Dekatron

International rectifier sell the original IRF840 MOSFET as well as a wide range of rectifiers.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2019, 3:03 pm   #2358
The Philpott
Dekatron

The serial numbers from various Type E avominors indicate that there was more than one series of numbers applied to the scaleplates...with no discernible difference between the meters involved. Reason unknown..

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2019, 8:26 pm   #2359
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGilham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post

That is the Universal Avominor, not the Multiminor.
Yes indeed, my mistake.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 12:42 pm   #2360
micheal
Pentode

Hi Ian the full company name is International Rectifier Company LTD.
Sorry can not supply any pictures because i do not have that facility, but is AVO Mulitminor MK4
beige case but with ranges substituted for the value of the Zener diodes, (i think 3.7v to 30v
i'm away from the meter at the moment and can not check).
The zero ohms knob is same style but is now a push button which you press too read zener current.

Mike.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote