UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2020, 4:30 pm   #1
eddie_ce
Hexode

Default Signal tracer

Inspired by Neil (newlite4's) recent post regarding his design for a signal tracer, I decided it was time to do a bit of home construction. I particularly liked Neil's design because it was without frills and more to the point I had all the parts needed.

I modified the circuit somewhat and have redrawn Neil's original circuit, hopefully not having made any errors in the values of the individual components as the original drawing was a bit fuzzy. The two resistors in the heater circuits are to bring the voltages down to 6.5V. The original transformer was meant for 220V, so the outputs are a tad on the high side.

I have enclosed a few pictures of my creation which works a treat. There is a very small amount of mains hum with no signal which may be due to sub-optimal wire routing, I will look at that although it isn't very noticeable. Also I'm not entirely happy with the front panel labelling, I might have to resort to Letraset.

All in all a very enjoyable project. Thank you Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracer top.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	213165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracer bottom.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	213166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracer front.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	213167  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tracer.pdf (52.9 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by eddie_ce; 10th Aug 2020 at 4:36 pm. Reason: additional information
Old 11th Aug 2020, 12:13 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Signal tracer

Beautifully made !!! and its a REAL one. Not an LM380 with a diode glued to it.

superb work
Joe
Old 11th Aug 2020, 3:51 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Nice one Eddie, really like the tag board wiring and especially like the use of a UY85 rectifier (I think I had just about run out of space on my chassis for a tube rectifier). We will have to start a tube signal tracer challenge contest .
Neil
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:34 pm   #4
Bufo Bill
Heptode

That's a lovely looking build, great skill shown IMO.
Cheers from Bill.
Closed Thread