UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2020, 9:58 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: TV sets with 3 core (Earthed) cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
Hi,
I can remember a late 1950's or 1960's tv that had a metal case that was earthed but I think had a ac dc arrangement for the power supply. I think it was 405 line only... ? so the chassis was live !
But my Memory isn't as good as I would like it to be, so I can't remember anything else
I think that was the British Emerson. Metal cabinets and dreadful TV receivers.
I seem to remember that the Philco 1000/1019 series also had a 3 core lead and a metal cabinet. J.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 9:58 pm   #22
hillwalker
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
There were quite a number of colour T.V's with 3 core mains leads, and even a real double-wound mains transformer, i.e. not an SMPS PSU, but a linear one.

Most of these domestic TV's were around prior to the SCART socket era, and many had BNC composite video inputs as well. Mitsubishi and Hitachi were among the manufacturers.

In the Broadcast/industrial T.V. area that I worked, sets like this meant that we could have a source of relatively low-cost monitors available. This helped to keep install costs down, where the use of a grade 1 monitor, such as those from Pro-west, Cintel, or Croma wasn't required.

David.
This is what I had sometimes found puzzling.

I tend to believe that most people associate ALL TVs to be double insulated and ALWAYS fitted with two core flex.

Although there are exceptions as we all know, I tend to imagine TVs with three core cable to have been an extreme rarity.

I have a 'Readers Digest Home Repair Guide' from the 1970s at home.
Basically, it covers many types of home repairs and maintenance, including a selection of home appliances.
However, on the Television section, it only explains how TV works and instructions on how to fit an Aerial Plug.
There is a warning at the end entitled 'TELEVISION SAFETY' , generally warning against removing the back cover but also stating 'all receivers must be operated from a three pin plug and socket, even though the mains lead has only two wires'.
This is probably concerning the many 'Live Chassis' sets around at the time, but referring to the two wires could be implied as ALL TV receivers having two wires only.

(I will photo a copy of this section if I get a chance)

Regards
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:21 pm   #23
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
I have a 'Readers Digest Home Repair Guide' from the 1970s at home.
Basically, it covers many types of home repairs and maintenance, including a selection of home appliances.
However, on the Television section, it only explains how TV works and instructions on how to fit an Aerial Plug.
There is a warning at the end entitled 'TELEVISION SAFETY' , generally warning against removing the back cover but also stating 'all receivers must be operated from a three pin plug and socket, even though the mains lead has only two wires'.
This is probably concerning the many 'Live Chassis' sets around at the time, but referring to the two wires could be implied as ALL TV receivers having two wires only.

(I will photo a copy of this section if I get a chance)

Regards
I've got the same book, it has some repair tips for other home electric appliances but with the disclaimer not to attempt any other repairs.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:37 pm   #24
hillwalker
Triode

As promised (remarkably managed to put my hand straight on the book!!)

Here are a few photos (though the one entitled 'TELEVISION SAFETY' is the relevant one I am referring to).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Readers Digest TV.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	210933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readers Digest TV 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	210934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readers Digest TV 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	210935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readers Digest TV 4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	210936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readers Digest Television Safety.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	210937  

Old 14th Jul 2020, 10:34 am   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Two wires, three possible connection points and a harrassed customer. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 15th Jul 2020, 9:43 pm   #26
hillwalker
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Two wires, three possible connection points and a harrassed customer. What could possibly go wrong?
Good Evening,

Although there are three connection points, to me it appears that it is already suggesting only the L & N pins be used, they MUST be connected correctly.
Also the warning about a three pin plug having to be used with two wires, since a two pin plug is reversable and although not actually mentioned in wording, must be due to the 'Live Chassis' sets around at the time.

I also noticed the smoke and burning warning, although this is applicable to anything electrical, I am aware it is (or was) a very unpleasant/frightening thing for a fire to occur with a TV set.

Regards
Old 16th Jul 2020, 11:24 pm   #27
Restoration73
Nonode

There is one further reason why you need a 3 core mains lead on your Band 1 telly.
Some sets (early Murphy and Baird come to mind) used the floating third lead in the
mains flex as a Band 1 aerial. I don't remember if they used the old mains colours though.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 6:28 pm   #28
Brigham
Octode

"...and no other equipment should be used from the same socket"

In case a multi-way adaptor reverses the L and N, presumably.

I wonder why they didn't go the whole way, and have the socket polarity "checked by a competent electrician"?
Old 11th Aug 2020, 8:45 pm   #29
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I did wonder how the Rediffusion cable connectors worked with a non-isolated chassis, or were the earlier sets also isolated?
I could be wrong, as I have not seen one since 1976, but I think the Rediffusion MK10 Mono set, that was used extensively for their wired system, as as well as a aerial receiver, were both fitted with a Mains TX.

Ken G6HZG