UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2016, 5:59 pm   #61
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: What keeps you interested in vintage wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I'm in love with all of it. I like British manufacturing. I like the history of the makers. I sometimes stare at a radio or TV wondering what world events it has broadcast and who was listening to it at the time.
That's the sort of aspect that also fascinates me: the history [both technical and political - the high-level arguments between Reith and the Government during the 1926 General Strike are fascinating, likewise the debate pro and con in the early-1950s about whether the UK needed a second TV channel [and if it did, whether it should be State or Commercially provided]. Arcane purchase-tax, VAT and hire-purchase-deposit rules and their "stop-go" impact on the TV/radio industry; Pirate radio and its subversive effects - both the original Caroline etc and then the later 1980s/1990s FM pirates.
The history of the manufacturers - again both technical and business/marketing - the underhand way in which Philips' ownership of Mullard was concealed in the 1930s, then moving forward to things like the 1970s Betamax-VHS wars and late-1980s Sky-vs-BSB battle-of-technologies/politics.

It all intertwines - when I look at a radio I ponder how the original buyer decided on that particular model, how they got the money together to buy it, how the manufacturer designed/marketed it, what the buyer listened to on it... it's all part of our social and technical history.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 9:16 am   #62
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I sometimes stare at a radio or TV wondering what world events it has broadcast and who was listening to it at the time.
I do that too. I thought I was the only person in the world who did it and I've never told anyone! The main broadcast that I think about is prime minister Neville Chamberlain uttering those immortal words.. "This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Germany." It was a life changing speech for many, and I picture whole families sitting around the radio, heads cocked firmly in its direction, the old man puffing on his pipe, all sitting with dour, glum faces..
Old 12th Dec 2016, 6:00 pm   #63
threeseven
Octode

Really, from the early 00's perhaps, onwards there will be no landmark or particuarly notable electronic items to look back on or become collectable. I can't think of one thing made in the 21st century that I have any desire to collect in the future. Camera's are another of my interests and since digital replaced film I haven't bought a single photo mag or camera, digital camera's hold no interest for me whatsoever. No digital camera will ever be looked upon like a M series Leica or F series Nikon, etc. They are disposable products that become obsolete as soon as they're superceded, and have no residual value.
The 20th century timeline however, is just prolific with recognisable, memorable products that characterise their era.
The 21st century will be a blank, apart from the broad development of new technology, like CD. DVD, Flatscreen, DAB, etc. No one will recall any specific product though, with very few exceptions, like the first Ipod, Ipad, Iphone etc.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 6:45 pm   #64
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I guess many of us here are 'of a certain age'. I'm sure that those brought up with the iPod, X-Box, etc., will look back on these items with fondness. Whether they will be able to keep them in working order as we have been able to with our items is another matter.

Our stuff tended to be in current everyday use for years and, with many common parts and the upward technical curve on a gentle slope, the volume of available spares, both NOS and second-hand, is considerable. However, today the slope is steep and how long an item is current may be measured in months in many instances.

I too am fascinated by what a radio set might have heard or in the case of the one or two vintage cameras I have, the images they may have captured. It's likely my grandmother's Pye heard the abdication speech and Neville Chamberlain. From what my father said I know it heard Radio Normandy and Lord Haw Haw.

I've got the feeling that iMacs will become collectable vintage items. Like vintage radios their iconic design will make them desirable, though, again, the problem will be keeping them in working order.

Centuries on, the 20th Century will be noted as a period of remarkable technological flowering, comparable to the Renaissance and art in the 15th Century.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 9:15 pm   #65
Cobaltblue

As so many have said you look at a tatty set that was once someones pride and joy and you have to make a decision about that sets future.

I would love to restore and save them all.

However when you have hundreds of sets you have to be more pragmatic.

Some sets have to become spares.

The differing designs the trials and tribulations of the manufacturers and dealers.

Every bit of it is what keeps me interested.

My aim is to try to leave a record of just one manufacturer.

I see it in the modern context that I am still involved in and it must have been similar even in the 1930's.

A new design the costs the marketing mechanical, manufacturing and design the endless meetings the detail, trade-offs I am sure it was ever the same for our forebears.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:14 pm   #66
The Philpott
Dekatron

I think the quality of the switches and controls has a lot to do with the appeal.

When i did my O levels two FX82-A Casio calculators were bought, one for me and one for my Ma who was doing a course in building construction/restoration. The sliding on-off switch immediately shouted 'short life span' at me as a result of which i left it permanently in the on position and relied on the Auto Power Off. One calculator is now playing up, and the other is fine- no prizes for guessing which.

The amount of new stuff i have resurrected by dropping older spec. switches in is ridiculous.
Closed Thread